Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Davide Bruzzone <Da...@ngt.com> on 2003/09/24 15:15:28 UTC

Strange/invisible characters appearing before the html:html tag...

Greetings all...

I'm using Struts 1.1 RC2, and am having the following problem:

The following characters are being rendered before the first HTML tag on
the
page (They're invisible until I paste them into vi):

[End of strange/invisible characters]

If I paste the characters above into vi, I get the following (The
ellipses
denote what appear to be empty spaces):

\xc2\xa0
^@^@

Since I'm using tiles, this is what my main layout tile (or the very top
of
my main layout tile) looks like:

<%-- Struts tag libraries --%>
<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-html.tld" prefix="html" %>

<%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-tiles.tld" prefix="tiles" %>

The problem is that the extra characters that are being rendered are
moving
the contents of the page (which are supposed to be positioned starting
in
the top left hand corner of the page) down, effectively adding a fairly
thick
margin around the header.

My experiments indicate that if I remove these invisible characters, the

page displays correctly (i.e. No margin around the header).

Has anyone seen this before? If so, what (if anything) do I need to do
prevent this "extra output" from being rendered?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers...

Dave Bruzzone