Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by jo...@johnholdsworth.com on 2008/04/20 22:19:28 UTC

Applet version of Tomcat for Web2.0

Hi,

I don't know if this will be of interest to you but it is possible to run Tomcat inside a browser
as a "Signed" Java Applet.  The rational as to why on earth you might want to do this is
presented at a demonstration site http://dbexplorer.com/tomcat/ the idea being it being it
would make AJAX applications more intereactive and allow web applications to be run offline.

I hope you find this contribution usefull. Patching in the required support does not affect
the running of tomcat itself due to the use of a new property "catalina.applet.loader". The
changes required to get logging working as you can not change LogManager once a process
has started where a little messier alas but completely beyond the pale and are compatable.

Let me know if you need any more details or explanation.

Thanks for your work & Best Regards,

John Holdsworth