Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dieter <dh...@iprimus.com.au> on 2014/02/08 07:10:32 UTC

a little mishap

Hi Open Office,

This will probably go nowhere fast, but for your benefit in the wordsmithing stakes, there is a bad word choice in your language pack choice instructions/recommendations found here at:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

where the word than highlighted in red below:
  Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 - Full installation sets and language packs
  Full Installation vs. Language Pack
  If you want to use more than a single language in Apache OpenOffice than it is recommended to use language packs.

ought to be then because you are not making a comparison there like greater than, but rather a conditional statement pertaining to options and choices like if this then that.

I may just be an 80-year-old fellow of a non-English speaking background in far-flung Australia trying to get a feel of Ubuntu/Linux and Open Office prone to make spelling errors,  but your example ought to be almost foolproof.  Not being critical, just caring.

Bye

Dieter G Hoffmann-Altenburg

Re: a little mishap

Posted by Max Merbald <ma...@gmx.de>.
Am 08.02.2014 07:10, schrieb Dieter:
> Hi Open Office,
>
> This will probably go nowhere fast, but for your benefit in the wordsmithing stakes, there is a bad word choice in your language pack choice instructions/recommendations found here at:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> where the word than highlighted in red below:
>    Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 - Full installation sets and language packs
>    Full Installation vs. Language Pack
>    If you want to use more than a single language in Apache OpenOffice than it is recommended to use language packs.
>
> ought to be then because you are not making a comparison there like greater than, but rather a conditional statement pertaining to options and choices like if this then that.
>
> I may just be an 80-year-old fellow of a non-English speaking background in far-flung Australia trying to get a feel of Ubuntu/Linux and Open Office prone to make spelling errors,  but your example ought to be almost foolproof.  Not being critical, just caring.
>
> Bye
>
> Dieter G Hoffmann-Altenburg

Hello Dieter, hello list,

you are right of course. It's "then", not "than". It should be easy to
correct. I also am not of English-speaking background but I know it's
one of the earlier things you're taught when you are learning Engish, to
discern between "then" and "than".

By the way, while we're talking of English expressions, I'd like to
mention that I have no problem understanding the meaning of "is
comprised of". While it's not "simple Engish" it's entirely correct and
I see no reason not to use it.

Max

Re: a little mishap

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/08/2014 07:10 AM, schrieb Dieter:
> Hi Open Office,
>
> This will probably go nowhere fast, but for your benefit in the wordsmithing stakes, there is a bad word choice in your language pack choice instructions/recommendations found here at:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> where the word than highlighted in red below:
>    Apache OpenOffice 4.0.1 - Full installation sets and language packs
>    Full Installation vs. Language Pack
>    If you want to use more than a single language in Apache OpenOffice than it is recommended to use language packs.
>
> ought to be then because you are not making a comparison there like greater than, but rather a conditional statement pertaining to options and choices like if this then that.
>
> I may just be an 80-year-old fellow of a non-English speaking background in far-flung Australia trying to get a feel of Ubuntu/Linux and Open Office prone to make spelling errors,  but your example ought to be almost foolproof.  Not being critical, just caring.

Thanks for your hint. Of course you are right. I've fixed the little typo.

BTW:
As this is an international project of volunteers all around the world -
with many non-native speakers. Therefore it's pretty sure that you would
find some more mistakes. So, don't hestitate to tell us if you find others.

Marcus