Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/06 02:38:39 UTC

Re: Native code Was: and m2

On 5/6/05, Dominique Devienne <DD...@lgc.com> wrote:
> I don't think I'm high jacking this thread too much...

I changed the topic just to be safe :)

> Has anyone ever given thought to non-Java artifacts management by an
> auto-downloader service?

This seems to now be coming up more and more frequently on the Maven
user list. I guess people are starting to recognise that the systems
can be unified and that they don't need to have ant/maven for the Java
part and make/autotools for the rest.

> So my question is basically whether <libraries> and/or m2 <artifact:>
> (of which I know nothing) will ever support such non-pure-Java scenario?

Absolutely. We've been thinking about it for a while, mainly in terms
of C(++) but also .Net, etc.

> Perhaps if not supported out of the box, be pluggable so I can develop
> my own strategies for repo layout, .zip extraction, etc?

Repo layout is already changeable, but the code needs to be included.
We could probably make it pluggable (I guess a short definition file
is the easiest way).

That said, there should be no reason that the new layout doesn't
support what you want - I'd be interested to hear if this is not the
case.

As for zip extraction - the plugin in Maven would take that
responsibility, I just expected in Ant that your section that
downloads the dependencies would do the extraction of the zips
afterwards if that were necessary. As far as the artifact handling is
concerned, I thought the zips would be a single entity.

Is this along the lines of what you were thinking?

Cheers,
Brett