Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/08/25 02:41:52 UTC

Re: Struts support to make jsp xml compliant.

Nilsa Gonzalez wrote:

> Craig,
> Thank you for answering about the enumerate tag. It worked...
>
> Does the struts framework support  jsp pages as XML documents.?
> I used chapter seven from the jsp specification but  nothing  is
> displayed.
>
> If the struts  framework supports it , what is the  way to convert non
> jsp data...
>
> Could anyone advise me on how to convert my jsp( using struts) in a
> valid xml documents..
>
> Thanks Nilsa

Struts by itself does not support the XML format of JSP pages.  That is
going to depend on your container providing this support (if it does, then
you can use the Struts tags within those pages easily).  Your container
might also provide a conversion utility to transform JSP syntax into XML
syntax.

I think there are only a couple of containers that support the XML format
presently.  Tomcat 3.x does not support this format, but Tomcat 4.0, and
other containers that ultimately support JSP 1.2, will be required to.

Craig

Re: Struts support to make jsp xml compliant.

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.
The JSP 1.0 and 1.1 specs do not require any container to do anything
with the XML view of a JSP page.  The 1.2 specification does, but note
that we have explicitly indicated that we may change the mapping between
1.1 and 1.2.

	- eduard/o

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Taylor Cowan wrote:

> I though that JSP's syntax IS xml.
>
> Taylor

The indidvidual custom tags are expressed in XML syntax.  However, the
overall
page itself has a syntax that has to be supported by the servlet
container.
In JSP 1.1, every container was required to support what is commonly
known as
the "JSP" syntax (which includes things like <% %> for scriptlets), with
optional support for XML syntax.  In the JSP 1.2 spec (currently out for
public review), the ability to read pages that are written in XML syntax
(and
therefore can be edited by XML-knowledgeable editing programs) will also
be
required.

Craig

                                    Applications to Tomcat

Re: Struts support to make jsp xml compliant.

Posted by Taylor Cowan <ta...@bondisoftware.com>.