Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Andy Peters <an...@latke.net> on 2004/12/30 02:01:57 UTC

"malformed network data"

Hi, folks,

I've search the archives of this and the dev list to no avail.

I'm trying to set up svnserve on Mac OS X 10.3.7.  I've grabbed the
1.1.2 non-Fink build from
http://metissian.com/projects/macosx/subversion/ and I've installed it
in the usual manner.

I created a user called svnowner and put him in group staff.

I've created a repository called /svnroot, and used

$ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /svnroot

to create the repository.  I then chown'ed /svnroot to svnowner:staff.

I made sure my /etc/services file included the svn port (it's included
by default in OS X), and added an svn entry to my xinetd.d directory.

$ netstat -a | grep svn

returns

tcp4	0	0	*.svn	*.*	LISTEN

so I assume we're listening on the proper port.

Now, if I use the svn client to do anything involving the server, e.g.,
given a tree in ~/devel/foo,

macaroon:~/devel andy $ svn import foo svn://macaroon

I always get the following error (after my editor pops up and asks me
for my comments):

subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:722 (apr_err=210004)
svn: Malformed network data

I tried installing the 1.1.1 build and got the same error.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how can I fix this?

Thanks,
- Andy Peters
Hardware guy
Tucson, AZ

Re: "malformed network data"

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Andy Peters wrote:
> Hi, folks,
>
> I've search the archives of this and the dev list to no avail.
>
> I'm trying to set up svnserve on Mac OS X 10.3.7.  I've grabbed the
> 1.1.2 non-Fink build from
> http://metissian.com/projects/macosx/subversion/ and I've installed it
> in the usual manner.
>
> I created a user called svnowner and put him in group staff.
>
> I've created a repository called /svnroot, and used
>
> $ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /svnroot
>
> to create the repository.  I then chown'ed /svnroot to svnowner:staff.
>
> I made sure my /etc/services file included the svn port (it's included
> by default in OS X), and added an svn entry to my xinetd.d directory.
>
> $ netstat -a | grep svn
>
> returns
>
> tcp4    0    0    *.svn    *.*    LISTEN
>
> so I assume we're listening on the proper port.
>
> Now, if I use the svn client to do anything involving the server, e.g.,
> given a tree in ~/devel/foo,
>
> macaroon:~/devel andy $ svn import foo svn://macaroon
>
> I always get the following error (after my editor pops up and asks me
> for my comments):
>
> subversion/libsvn_ra_svn/marshal.c:722 (apr_err=210004)
> svn: Malformed network data
>
> I tried installing the 1.1.1 build and got the same error.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what causes this and how can I fix this?

Did you make sure you were using the -i (or --inetd) flag for svnserve
in your inetd config?  That's required for running under inetd.

-garrett