Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Benoît Thiébault <th...@artenum.com> on 2011/04/14 14:09:34 UTC

Alternative to Tycho using Felix

Hi everyone,

I am currently working on a project that is managed by Maven as a
multi-modules project, each module representing an OSGi bundle. What I
would like to do is to automatically generate a distributable packaging
of the project for each targeted platform. In this packaging, I would
like to have one executable (in the form of a sh scripton Linux for
instance) that would launch felix for instance, install and start all
the required bundles.

Is there such a tool ? What are the best practices to package OSGi
applications ?

I recently discovered Tycho (http://tycho.sonatype.org/) that "is a set
of Maven plugins and extensions for building Eclipse plugins and OSGI
bundles with Maven". This kind of tool is very interesting, except it is
aimed at creating Eclipse RCP plugin and the documentation is very
small. Do you have any alternatives to suggest ?

Kind regards,

Ben

--
Dr Benoît Thiébault
Project Manager

   Artenum Toulouse - Science&  Groupware
   http://www.artenum.com

Bâtiment Calfocenter
10, rue Marguerite Long
31 320 Castanet Tolosan
Phone: +33 (0)5 62 19 32 22

Re: Alternative to Tycho using Felix

Posted by Benoît Thiébault <th...@artenum.com>.
Thank you Simon,

I indeed already use maven-bundle-plugin to create the bundles (and even
iPojo maven plugin). I also already tryed the assembly plugin for
another non-OSGi project but I was hoping for something a bit more
pre-configured for OSGi. With the assembly plugin, I still have to
configure a lot of OSGi specific things.

If there is nothing better, I will go with this. Are there any good
OSGi-specific tutorial of the assembly plugin indicating good practices
for packaging such applications?

Kind regards,

Ben

Posted by Simon Chemouil <sc...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benoït,

Posted by Benoît Thiébault <th...@artenum.com>.
This is very interesting, thank you.
I will have a look at it and will certainly try and use it in my project.
Kind regards,
Ben

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Benoît,