Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by mf...@mchsi.com on 2005/01/03 18:03:16 UTC

4GB File size limit

I need apache to serve up files greater than 4GB. Currently, even with large
files enabled, it will not serve a file over 4GB on either windows or linux.
When doing so, it shows the file size as being the original size mod 4GB. Ex:
if the file is 4.2GB, when you go to download it, it says the file is 0.2GB.

I've looked through the source and found that a 4 byte int is used for file
offset stuff in many places, which would explain the behavior.

The project I'm on desperately needs this functionality.

I would like to know if the developers have this on their list of features to
add in the near future?

Thanks

Re: 4GB File size limit

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:24:01PM -0500, Jeff Trawick wrote:
> I believe there is a way to build Apache 2.0.x to use 64-bit file
> offsets, but that isn't the default build.

CFLAGS="-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE" and
http://www.apache.org/~jorton/ap_splitlfs.diff has been working on
ftp.heanet.ie (runs Linux) for ages and server >4Gb DVD ISO's without problem.

Though, 2.1/2.2 is the way to go :)

Re: 4GB File size limit

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 17:03:16 +0000, mfbscs@mchsi.com <mf...@mchsi.com> wrote:
> I need apache to serve up files greater than 4GB. Currently, even with large
> files enabled, it will not serve a file over 4GB on either windows or linux.
> When doing so, it shows the file size as being the original size mod 4GB. Ex:
> if the file is 4.2GB, when you go to download it, it says the file is 0.2GB.

APR 1.0, and thus Apache 2.1-dev, uses a 64-bit file offset on 32-bit
Unix-ish platforms which implement the LFS standard.  So the upcoming
Apache 2.2 release will handle large files by default on modern
Unix-ish platforms.