Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/03 04:31:16 UTC

Re: [announce] html2 Tag Library experiment

On 10/31/05, Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If there's enough interest (and volunteers), we can move this thing to
> struts.sf.net, otherwise I'll just let this sit there for those brave
> enough to use it.

I'd say that if there is enough interest and volunteers to move it to
struts.sf.net, why not just bring it into the main distribution, so
everyone can use it?

I also continue to wonder whether there is enough interest and
volunteers to bring FormDef into the main distribution.

* https://formdef.dev.java.net/

Over recent years, I think we've become too conservative. When someone
broached the idea of a DispatchAction, we didn't hem and haw and wait
for it to become popular as an extension. We tossed it into the
distribution at the 11th hour, and it went on to become one of our
most popular "extras".

-Ted.

Re: [announce] html2 Tag Library experiment

Posted by Yujun Liang <yu...@acm.org>.
Hubert,

I didn't mean your BeanDef is not good. Please don't take that way. :)

Question for you.

Bill Siggelkow mentioned your BeanDef in his book, here is the example he
gave us,
<form name="a"
beanType="com.a.b.Employee"/>
<field property="aDate">
<converter key="format.date.us <http://format.date.us>"/>
</field>
</form>

I am working on locale aware application, how do I specify the converter
base on locale?

Thanks

--
Yujun Liang
yujun.liang@acm.org

Re: [announce] html2 Tag Library experiment

Posted by Yujun Liang <yu...@acm.org>.
Ted,

Here is what I read from Struts document,

You may also place a bean instance on your form, and use nested property
references. For example, you might have a "customer" bean on your
ActionForm, and then refer to the property
"customer.name<http://customer.name/>"
in your presentation page. This would correspond to the methods
customer.getName() and customer.setName(String Name) on your customer bean.
See the Apache Struts Taglib Developer Guides for more about using the
nested syntax.

http://struts.apache.org/struts-core/userGuide/building_controller.html#action_form_classes

But after I read your email, I got confused. Are you saying Struts hasn't
fully supported this above mentioned feature so we need Hubert's FormDef
plugin?

I tried above mentioned feature, the only problem is Struts uses BeanUtil to
populate ActionForm, but I suspect Struts should use
LocaleBeanUtil/LocaleBeanUtilBean to populate form. So we don't need so many
plugins.

My 2 cents.

Regards

On 11/3/05, Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/05, Hubert Rabago <hr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If there's enough interest (and volunteers), we can move this thing to
> > struts.sf.net <http://struts.sf.net>, otherwise I'll just let this sit
> there for those brave
> > enough to use it.
>
> I'd say that if there is enough interest and volunteers to move it to
> struts.sf.net <http://struts.sf.net>, why not just bring it into the main
> distribution, so
> everyone can use it?
>
> I also continue to wonder whether there is enough interest and
> volunteers to bring FormDef into the main distribution.
>
> * https://formdef.dev.java.net/
>
> Over recent years, I think we've become too conservative. When someone
> broached the idea of a DispatchAction, we didn't hem and haw and wait
> for it to become popular as an extension. We tossed it into the
> distribution at the 11th hour, and it went on to become one of our
> most popular "extras".
>
> -Ted.

Yujun Liang
yujun.liang@acm.org