Posted to user@vcl.apache.org by Curtis <se...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/14 22:16:54 UTC

Blog post on how we are using OpenStack + VCL

Hi All,

I just put up a blog post on how we are using OpenStack and Apache VCL on
the Canadian OpenStack Users Group (CanStack) blog here:

http://blog.canstack.ca/2013/02/14/vcl-openstack-reference-architecture.html

Though I didn't put in much information about the OpenStack VLC module we
are using, but it's at least an idea of what we have in terms of hardware,
networking gear, and a few OpenStack tidbits for a small private cloud.

Thanks,
Curtis.

PS. If you see any errors let me know. :)

--
Twitter: @serverascode
Blog: serverascode.com

Re: Blog post on how we are using OpenStack + VCL

Posted by Josh Thompson <jo...@ncsu.edu>.

Re: Blog post on how we are using OpenStack + VCL

Posted by Curtis <se...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu> wrote:

> Curtis, thank you.
>
> I still have few questions, if you don't mind… These probably the last on
> the subject :) thanks again.
> See below:
>

> On Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 19:06 , Curtis wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Dmitri Chebotarov <dchebota@gmu.edu(mailto:
> dchebota@gmu.edu)> wrote:
> > > Curtis,
> > >
> > > Thank you, interesting reading... I have few questions
> > >
> > > Do you see any benefits using VCL with OpenStack versus VCL's back-end
> (ESXi/KVM)?
> > > Is your OpenStack deployment configured to provide HA for VCL's VM
> computers?
> >

> > Hi Dmitri,
> >
> > First, I am a big fan of OpenStack, so I'm probably biased. All those
> free t-shirts.... :)
> >
> > I think the first benefit is that we can eventually put our current VCL
> infrastructure into a larger cloud. Right now it's in its own cloud, but we
> are probably going to put it into a larger cloud that has more than one
> tenant, and doing that will be straightforward with OpenStack as the back
> end.
> This is interesting - definitely gives you better resource use in a large
> environment (but also brings up some ownership issues in an enterprise
> environment).
> By putting it in large cloud, do you mean physically move/join all compute
> nodes to a large OpenStack cloud (with VCL tenant as one of many others) or
> *bursting* into a different cloud when you run out of resource on VCL
> OpenStack cloud?

The former--making VCL a tenant in a much larger cloud instead of being the
only tenant in a small cloud. :)

> My main interest with OpenStack (or any other private cloud solution) is
> if it can provide resource sharing between multiple OpenStack private
> clouds. Let's say I had the same configuration of VCL&OpenStack, could we
> configure our both OpenStack private clouds to share resources if needed?
> I.e. - I don't have available resources to create new reservations, could
> those reservations be hosted in your private OpenStack cloud temporarily?
> without end user get involved?

I'm not sure what "bursting" capabilities VCL has, or what you could do to
mimic that, but I would think what you're suggesting is doable. If our VCL
project gets wider use it might be something we consider as well...bursting
out to EC2 or Rackspace or something like that. But I haven't looked into
how we might do that.

> > I think the image management systems, glance, is also beneficial. It's
> kinda hacked into VCL right now, but glance is a powerful image management
> system, including image metadata. Also, either it can now or will be able
> to store and use images from object storage such as swift.
> >
> > Those are the major things I can think of right now. IMHO, as IaaS
> becomes more prevalent, fewer and fewer organizations will run separate
> virtualization clusters for VCL, and will manage servers via an API from a
> much larger cloud.
> >
> > As far as HA--no, not really, we just have one cloud controller, so
> single nova database, etc. Is that what you mean?
> By HA I meant if there is any redundancy on KVM/VMs side of OpenStack,
> i.e. if one of your KVM hosts went offline would VMs restart automatically
> on another host? Can you move VMs between hosts on OpenStack side?

No, one of the things I like about our use of VCL is that the virtual
machines are totally stateless, ie. there is no user data on them. So if a
compute node dies, then they will lose their current reservation, but can
just make a new one. We are not using shared storage of any kind in our VCL
environment. In fact, the next version of our cloud will be based on
striped SSDs so that we can overcommit on stateless vms.

Thanks,
Curtis.

Posted by Dmitri Chebotarov <dc...@gmu.edu>.
Curtis, thank you.