Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/06/19 17:54:28 UTC

Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

What do you guys thin about moving these excalibur packages to Commons?

io
bzip2
tar
zip
thread
threadcontext
cache
cli (the commons one getting attention now )
collections
util

It would help us concentrate more on core Avalon.

Other stuff can be made to go there, but these ones basically go to
enhance commons packages that are there.

What do you think?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [VOTE] Re: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
> I'm asking now a formal vote, since it seems that this got a good response.
>
> Please vote individually on the components and add others you think
> eligible.
>
> I've added the votes of Leo, Stephen and Berin.
> If one of you three wishes to dissent, please remove a + from the vote
> count.

will do. I do not have time to subscribe to commons-dev, learn the
internals, debate and work on integration, etc. So for more 'formal'
purposes I'm +0.

> [+3]io
> [+3]bzip2
> [+3]tar
> [+3]zip
> [+3]thread
> [+3]threadcontext
> [+3]cli (the commons one getting attention now )
> [+3]collections
> [+3]util

- Leo Simons

[VOTE] Re: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> no prob, though it'd be nice to wait with the stuff Pete's doing the
> releases on as I could use those...

Since he's at it, can't he release them in commons?
Not that I want to make Peter do it, just a question.
I'm ok also if he does a release before, no problem with that.
(Three involute sentences to try to ask a question without leaning over
any of the possible answers ;-)

> ...also, some of these are released components so if they are also moved
> to a different namespace we should provide wrapppers.

Ohohhh Ok, will remember that.

I'm asking now a formal vote, since it seems that this got a good response.

Please vote individually on the components and add others you think
eligible.

I've added the votes of Leo, Stephen and Berin.
If one of you three wishes to dissent, please remove a + from the vote
count.

Comments welcome :-)

In the meantime, I'll start getting ready for the switch :-)

[+4]io
[+4]bzip2
[+4]tar
[+4]zip
[+4]thread
[+4]threadcontext
[+4]cli (the commons one getting attention now )
[+4]collections
[+4]util

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
no prob, though it'd be nice to wait with the stuff Pete's doing the
releases on as I could use those...

...also, some of these are released components so if they are also moved
to a different namespace we should provide wrapppers.

- Leo

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> What do you guys thin about moving these excalibur packages to Commons?
>
> io
> bzip2
> tar
> zip
> thread
> threadcontext
> cache
> cli (the commons one getting attention now )
> collections
> util
>
> It would help us concentrate more on core Avalon.
>
> Other stuff can be made to go there, but these ones basically go to
> enhance commons packages that are there.
>
> What do you think?

No objections here.

Steve.

Posted by Ringo De Smet <ri...@yahoo.co.uk>.
 --- Eung-ju Park <co...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> collections: +0. commons collections and excalibur collections is
> different. Just same package name. commons collections is too big.

Taking the collections as an example, what is your idea on moving
excalibur collections to Commons. Will there be two collections
libraries in Commons then? Do you think on merging the two?

Please elaborate.

Ringo

Re: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Eung-ju Park <co...@hotmail.com>.
> What do you guys thin about moving these excalibur packages to Commons?
>
> io
> bzip2
> tar
> zip
> thread
> threadcontext
> cache
> cli (the commons one getting attention now )
> collections
> util
>
> It would help us concentrate more on core Avalon.
>
> Other stuff can be made to go there, but these ones basically go to
> enhance commons packages that are there.
>
> What do you think?

io: +0
bzip2: +1
tar: +1
zip: +1
thread: +0
threadcontext: +0
cache: -0. Yep it depends on Component.... Need more consideration.
cli (the commons one getting attention now ): +1
collections: +0. commons collections and excalibur collections is different.
Just same package name. commons collections is too big.
util: +1

How about i18n, naming, baxter package?

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@socialchange.net.au>.
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 05:54:28PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> What do you guys thin about moving these excalibur packages to Commons?
>
> io
> bzip2
> tar
> zip
> thread
> threadcontext
> cache
> cli (the commons one getting attention now )
> collections
> util
>
> It would help us concentrate more on core Avalon.
>
> Other stuff can be made to go there, but these ones basically go to
> enhance commons packages that are there.
>
> What do you think?

+1 to moving those packages whose developers will:

 - take time to understand existing Commons alternatives
 - if some overlap exists, expend technical and political effort merging
 - provide ongoing support for those packages on the rather noisy
   commons-dev. Might involve forwarding on to avalon-dev

Needs at least 1 developer to do the above per package, and 2 more to
put their names down for 'support', to reach the minimum 3 Commons'
requires.

I volunteer for io at least. I'm sure tar, zip and bzip2 would be
particularly welcome.

--Jeff

Re: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday 19 June 2002 12:01 pm, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > What do you guys thin about moving these excalibur packages
> > to Commons?
> >
> > io
> > bzip2
> > tar
> > zip
> > thread
> > threadcontext
> > cache
> > cli (the commons one getting attention now )
> > collections
> > util
> >
> > It would help us concentrate more on core Avalon.
>
> To all but cache, +1.  Cache is a component, so they
> wouldn't accept it anyway.

+1
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

RE: Moving some Excalibur stuff to Commons

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.