Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by amit jaiswal <am...@yahoo.com> on 2010/11/30 05:49:12 UTC

Current status of HBasene?

Hi,

I am trying to explore HBasene for using HBase as a backend for lucene index
store. But it seems that the current code in github is not in working stage, and
there is no active development either (https://github.com/akkumar/hbasene/).

Can somebody tell its current status? Didn't get any response on hbasene mailing
list.

-regards
Amit

Re: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.
As I understand it, and please correct me if I'm wrong, a map/reduce job
has an instance of a FileSystem object on either side. One that the data
is read out of on the map side, and one the data is fed into on the
reduce side.

Can't you run the map reduce job on the storage cluster that stores the
archival data, feeding the map side with
http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/api/org/apache/hadoop/fs/RawLocalFileSystem.html
from the mounted, posix parallel file system,
and feed it into the hadoop cluster on the reduce side. That would mean,
the network in the middle would only see the reduced data set cross the
wire and you could parallelize the data reduction as close to the
archive as possible.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
To add to what Ted says,

"hadoop fs -copyFromLocal" assumes that the file is present locally on the
datanode. That means the file would have to have been transfered to the
node, copied to local disk, and only after that is it written to HDFS, so
there's an extra trip to disk that you could have avoided.

You might have avoided that using a direct pull from the MapReduce task that
writes directly to HDFS. But, as Ted mentions, that is not as efficient as a
source-based push and is also more complex.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.
Patrick,

Thanks for the info (and quick reply). I want to make sure I understand: Presuming that the data files are coming off a set of disk drives attached to a single Linux file server, you say I need two things to optimize the transfer:

1)  a fat network pipe

2) some way of parallelizing the reads

So - I will check into network hardware, in regard to (1). But for (2), is the MapReduce method that I was think of, a way that uses "hadoop fs -copyFromLocal" in each Mapper, a good way to go at the destination end? I believe that you were saying that it is indeed OK, but I want to double-check, since this will be a critical piece of our work flow.

 Ron

________________________________
While MapReduce can help to parallelize the load effort, your likely bottleneck is the source system (where the files come from). If the files are coming from a single server, then parallelizing the load won't gain you much past a certain point. You have to figure in how fast you can read the file(s) off disk(s) and push the bits through your network and finally onto HDFS.

The best scenario is if you can parallelize the reads and have a fat network pipe (10GbE or more) going into your Hadoop cluster.

Regards,

- Patrick

Email: ronald.taylor@pnl.gov<ma...@pnl.gov>

RE: What is the fastest way to get a large amount of data into the Hadoop HDFS file system (or Hbase)?

Posted by "Hiller, Dean (Contractor)" <de...@broadridge.com>.
Thanks of the info, missed that at the bottom of that page.
Dean

Posted by "Hiller, Dean (Contractor)" <de...@broadridge.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.
The problem there is that HDFS isn't a first class file system.  That means
that the nice and easy ways of mounting will lead to problems (notably NFS
which maintains no state will require random write capabilities).

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.
On Tue, 2010-12-28 at 16:04 -0800, Taylor, Ronald C wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> So - from what Patrick and Ted are saying it sounds like we want the best way to parallelize a source-based push, rather than doing a parallelized pull through a MapReduce program. And I see that what you ask about below is on parallelizing a push, so we are on the same page.
>  Ron

Hi Ron,

I think there are merits for both approaches, a depending on the type of
data it is. If you only ever need a subset of the data for reprocessing,
map/reducing then transfer might be better. If you want all the raw data
of a particular set, push transfer may make more sense.

So we'd need solutions to both:
*parallel map reduce on non hdfs storage cluster, push to hdfs
reprocessing cluster.
*parallel push data from non hdfs storage cluster, into hdfs
reprocessing cluster.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.

Hi Kevin,

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.

Hi Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
Ron,

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad to hear from a fellow DOE national lab person!

We are just starting to explore all this here at Pacific Northwest Nat Lab, and what will be going into Hbase and what will be left as files in HDFS is an open question, to be empirically determined over the coming year. It will depend on upon what instrument data gets put in, how the users want to analyze the data, what turns out to be practical for future growth and maintenance, etc. My lab colleagues Kevin Fox and David Brown have a lot more experience handling massive amount of data - they are already handling hundreds of TBs in the archive cluster for EMSL, our national user facility (lots of mass spec, NMR, microscopy, and next gen sequencing machines for biology and chemistry, as you may already know). And they have much better grip on the hardware and OS side of things. So I imagine you & the list will be hearing directly from them fairly often as questions arise.

 Ron

HDFS: if you have a large number of files to load from your nfs file system into HDFS it is not clear that parallelizing the load will help.  You have two sources of bottlenecks: the nfs file system and the HDFS file system.  In your parallel example, you will likely saturate your nfs file system first.  If they are actually local files, then loading them via M/R is a non-starter as you have no control over which machine will get a map task.  Unless all of the machines have files in the same directory and you are just going to look in that directory to upload.  Then, it sounds like more of a job for a parallel shell command and less of a map/reduce command.

HBase: So far my strategy has been to get the files into HDFS first, and then write a Map job to load them into HBase.  You can try to do this and see if direct inserts into hbase are fast enough for your use case.  But, if you are going to TBs/week then you will likely want to investigate the bulk load features.  I haven't yet incorporated that into my workflow so I can't offer much advice there. Just be sure your cluster is sized appropriately.  E.g., with your compression turned on in hbase, see how much a 1 GB input file expands to inside hbase / hdfs.  That should give you a feeling for how much space you will need for your expected data load.

Dave

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
Right, I should have realized that you guys would be using a good parallel file system.  In that case a M/R job will be great for moving the data -- as long as you don't overload the network.  And if you are going to have the data end up in HBase you may just write a map job to directly insert into hbase, either through standard inserts or bulk loads (which should be 10x faster).

If you have time to play, it might be interesting to see how hbase runs over your current file system.  Just use the file://<path to shared directory> instead of the hdfs:// url in the hbase-site.xml file.  I would stress test that first with both hbase and m/r jobs just to make sure that it behaves well, but there would be many people who would love to hear about your experience here.  I for one would like to know if I can run hbase over luster since we love luster around here.

Dave

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.

Posted by Kevin Fox <Ke...@pnl.gov>.

Posted by "Taylor, Ronald C" <ro...@pnl.gov>.
Hi Dave,

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
Hi Ron,

Posted by Patrick Angeles <pa...@cloudera.com>.
Ron,

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
Hi Ron,

Re: Current status of Hbasene - is the Lily project relevant?

Posted by Daniel Einspanjer <de...@mozilla.com>.
Mozilla is using it for a test project that is building a datawarehouse
on top of our bugzilla installation.  While it is still a bit young, it
is usable and very exciting, not only for the searching capabilities,
but also for the application friendly extensions to HBase such as linked
fields, whole document versioning, field typing, etc.  Once the data is
indexed in Solr then you have that entire powerful world to interact
with.  I am hoping that Outerthought has a chance to consider supporting
ElasticSearch as an alternative indexing engine though.  We are also
doing some work with ES and it is quite amazing as well.

I remember seeing a reference to a project that created an ElasticSearch
plugin to feed data from HBase into it.  I'm not sure where that is at
the moment.  It would probably be worth taking a look at ES as well.

-Daniel

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by amit jaiswal <am...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Ravi,
There is no active development that seems to happen in HBasene, but the code
quality is good, and I suggest that you can still take a look. Few changes that
I need to do to make it working:
1. Set commit batch size to a lower number so that the documents are always
indexed (when you are playing with 1-2 documents).
2. If you are printing the docIds from the result, then the current
implementation prints the segmentIds rather than docIds. A small hack is to
store only a single document per segment.

Stack,
The project seems to be left in the process of a major design change. The design
doc doesn't talk about logical partitioning of indexes in terms of segments
which seems to be a good approach for scalability.

Can the developers:
1. Update the design doc with the proposals as what were the design approaches
like how the result set would show both segment + docId, how to assign documents
to segment so that update of indexes is possible.
2. Give the version of the last working snapshot of hbasene (which is in sync
with the current documentation).

-regards
Amit

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.