Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Craig Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2005/05/17 23:19:21 UTC

Mac OSX build requirements

Hi,

It took me just a bit of scratching to find the secret of building
Derby in MacOS X. The BUILDING.txt file has nothing about it, and it
took me a bit of work to find the post
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=derby-
user@db.apache.org&msgNo=31 that explains enough of what I needed to
do. It was clear enough that I could run derby on MacOS X but it wasn't
obvious that I could develop on it.

I'd like to see the MacOS X information right up front, because I spent
a bit of time trying to figure out how to get hold of a JDK 1.3.1
environment, which isn't even necessary for MacOS X because when you
install 1.4, you also get the 1.3.1 environment for Derby.

Is there already a place for this kind of operating-system-dependent
information? If not, would BUILDING.txt be a good place for it?

I would be happy to write up a patch for BUILDING.txt or wherever it
should be.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Mac OSX build requirements

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On May 17, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Craig Russell wrote:

> I would be happy to write up a patch for BUILDING.txt or wherever it
> should be.

I just happen to be looking at some build/documentation related items
right now. I think it would be fine to put this information into
BUILDING, since it is key to building Derby on Mac OS X. If you produce
a patch, I'll review and commit it.

Once you have it built, you'll probably want to look over DERBY-1 if
you haven't already:

andrew