Posted to axis-tck@ws.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2002/06/26 21:00:37 UTC

Re: Apache JPE Support

The most pressing need I have is to get the userid and password by which I
can get access to the TCKs.  Most pressing of all is access to the SAAJ
TCK.

I'll gather up a list of comments.  Meanwhile, would you like access to the
axis-tck@xml.apache.org mailing list?  This offer is being made with the
full recognition that there would be no expectation that you are to respond
to every - or even any - email that you get from that channel.  However, I
feel that this might provide you with valuable context when you do get
formal requests.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  Can I request that you send further e-mails to me on this topic via
my rubys@apache.org address?

Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com> on 06/26/2002 12:00:10 PM

To:    Sam Ruby/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
cc:    JAMES SHEEHAN JR <ja...@sun.com>
Subject:    Apache JPE Support

Hi Sam,

I understand you have been designated as the contact for Apache for TCK
issues.  I will be your contact point for all TCK issues.

I understand that you have a few issues with the JAXRPC TCK.  If you
could please forward me a list of what you believe is outstanding, I
will compare it to the list that I just received.

I look forward to working with you.

Regards,
Lance

--
Lance Andersen                       email: Lance.Andersen@sun.com
Sun Microsystems Inc.                phone: (781) 442-2037

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Lance Andersen wrote:

> Hi Sam,
>
> Just one minor clarification.  Any issues for an apache project need to
> go through the apache representative for the TCK in question not through
> the licensees main contact.
 >
> Regards,
> Lance

There is a mismatch between the Sun/JCP/TCK model and Apache here that
we simply will have to work through over time.

Sun's model is to assign a single representative per company.  This
generally makes sense, as this person can get to know the unique issues
with respect to WebSphere, JRun, etc. that may cut accross JSR boundaries.

Open source flips that model.  There is one code base shared by multiple
companies.  For the overwhelming majority of issues, it does not make
sense to treat the issue as Macromedia or IBM specific, so for these
issues, it makes sense to go through the Apache representative.  However
there always is the possibility that there will be some Macromedia or
IBM specific issues to be dealt with.  These clearly will have to go
through the licensee main contact.

In some cases, the differences may simply be over priority.  If there is
an issue that is if critical importance to Macromedia then they
understandably may want to pursue the issue through their main contact.

Overall, I don't expect that this will cause major problems.  As I said,
I expect the overwhelming majority of issues to be common.  As for the
rest, the way to effectively deal with it is to have effective cross
channel communications.  IBM, Macromedia, and Apache already have high
bandwidth channels set up; if the Sun contacts for these companies talk
amoungst themselves regularly, then I doubt there will be any problem.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Please welcome Lance Andersen to the axis-tck mailing list!

Lance is the designated representative from Sun to address all Apache
(not merely Axis) TCK issues.  I am his counterpart at Apache.  While
Lance is encouraged to directly participate on the mailing list,
everyone should be sensitive to the fact that he is under no obligation
to do so.

All official communications are to either go through me or your
designated company TCK representative (if you have one).

- Sam Ruby

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Jim Driscoll wrote:

> Unless, of course, Apache were willing to certify non-members as being
> covered by the license, which you aren't willing to do - so it's a
> problem created by both sides - Sun's desire for confidentiality, and
> Apache's reluctance to vouch for all her committers.

Vouch for what?  I can understand the argument that Apache needs to
protect access to the TCK itself, but what is the argument for
protectings committers from knowing when their changes break
compatiblitity with the JSR?

Can't we find some middle ground here?

- Sam Ruby

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Jim Driscoll <ji...@sun.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:

> Jim Driscoll wrote:
>  > Hi Sam -
>  >
>  > I checked with the lawyers, and this was one of the things the is
>  > specifically not allowed by the contract.
>
> This is very frustrating as you and I specifically talked about doing
> exactly this prior to the Apache/Sun agreement.
>
> But somehow, this is not surprising, as it completes the cycle.  Apache
> sabre rattles.  There is much tension.  Agreement is reached just before
> the deadline.  Yet when it comes time for execution, the story is the
> same "my lawyer won't let me do it."

Actually, it's "your contract won't let you do it".  I'm sorry, but I
don't remember the conversation - I'm assuming it was before the
signing, where things went back on forth a bit.  But I talked with so
many people about this.  If I misled you in any way, or gave you
incorrect information, I'm truly sorry.  I do remember discussing this
at length with Jason, Chuck and a variety of lawyers.  In the end, the
confidentiality provisions were weakened, but not eliminated.  I
personally would have liked them eliminated, but there were good
arguments for allowing them to remain.

I assume you guys all discussed this at length internally as well, but I
was excluded from those discussions, so I couldn't really say.

>  > You may publish it on a password protected website, or email it to
>  > either jcp@apache.org (all Apache members) or axis-tck@sml.apache.org
>  > (who all have rights to view the TCK either from Apache or
>  > elsewhere), but the sole thing you can say about TCK test status
>  > publicly is "passed" or "failed".
>
> Gee, thanks.

Figured you'd be thrilled :-(

>  > Allow me to explain the reasoning here:  the thought is when you
>  > allow people to publish full test results, you introduce the notion
>  > of "mostly passing", i.e. "We pass 550 TCK tests out of 600!", when
>  > really, the status is "Failed the TCK".
>  >
>  > Yes, I know that that isn't Apache's intent in any way.  But the
>  > contract's purpose is to guard against bad intent...
>  >
>  > Hope that this isn't too noxious.
>
> First thing I would like to clearly establish is that this is a
> requirement of Sun and/or the leads for these specifications, and not of
> the JCP itself, right?  After all, IIRC the business terms for JSR 110
> are as follows:

<snip>

Yep, it's a requirement of the contract signed between Sun and Apache.
AFAIK, it's not a JCP requirement.  However, I'm not the JCP expert.
Jason / Chuck are more likely to have the definitive answer there, or I
can check internally if they're unavailable.  I'd have to refer to the
JSPA verbiage, and that's still a work in progress anyway.

> Now let me explain what I was trying to accomplish.  At the present
> time, we pass 100% of the SAA JTCK, and are within two tests of passing
> the JAXRPC TCK.  What I was hoping to do was to set things up so that
> the tests ran automatically and generally successfully.  But at the
> point where somebody - any contributor, really - broke compatibility in
> a nightly build, they would be notified of that fact, generally within
> 24 hours.
>
> Instead, what is being proposed is that unless they are one of the
> select few, not only can't they run these tests themselves, they can't
> even directly view the results of their efforts.
>
> So, yes, I view that as noxious.

Unless, of course, Apache were willing to certify non-members as being
covered by the license, which you aren't willing to do - so it's a
problem created by both sides - Sun's desire for confidentiality, and
Apache's reluctance to vouch for all her committers.

One solution that I can think of is to have the people who are active
committers apply to the board for license permission.  Also noxious, but
it does what you want, eventually.

BTW - congratulations on the team's progress!  Almost there.

Jim

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Jim Driscoll wrote:
> [...]

 >  If after JSR110 is approved, someone claims compliance and any user
 > finds otherwise, the TCK provides a relatively objective way of
 > proving noncompliance."

Now let me explain what I was trying to accomplish.  At the present
time, we pass 100% of the SAA JTCK, and are within two tests of passing
the JAXRPC TCK.  What I was hoping to do was to set things up so that
the tests ran automatically and generally successfully.  But at the
point where somebody - any contributor, really - broke compatibility in
a nightly build, they would be notified of that fact, generally within
24 hours.

Instead, what is being proposed is that unless they are one of the
select few, not only can't they run these tests themselves, they can't
even directly view the results of their efforts.

- Sam Ruby

Re: Publishing the results of the TCKs

Posted by Jim Driscoll <ji...@sun.com>.
Hi Sam -

Re: Automating the TCKs - comments and questions

Posted by Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com>.
There is a way to run the tck from gnumake, but we would need to include
the makefiles in the bundle.  I am checking on the possibility.  This
would then allow you to kick off a cron job from the command line.

Note however for official certification, the suite(s) must be run from
the gui.

Lance

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.

Posted by Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com>.
I pushed to your private directory a version of the saaj and jaxrpc tck
which contains the makefiles.
 From the src tree, you can  type tsmake runclient to run the entire
suite or a specific section of the tests starting at the directory level
where you kickoff tsmake.

You will want to run the install script again or manually copy the files
from the install directory.

regards,
Lance

Posted by Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com>.
Yeah I assume you are using the -batch option.  Having the makefiles is
still a better option as it makes it easier to debug test problems when
you have to rebuild.

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>.

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/JCPtools2/ and

Posted by Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com>.
Sam,

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Lance,

Thanks. we don't have it yet (5:45 EST). Looking forward to it.

-- dims

=====

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Lance Andersen <La...@sun.com>.

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Still waiting for SAAJ TCK....

I just game Jim Driscol a call.  New outlook is tomorrow.  Apparently he
needs to fax something to somebody internally.  Mumble, mumble, grr...

- Sam Ruby

Re: Apache JPE Support

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <di...@yahoo.com>.
Still waiting for SAAJ TCK....