Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Alexander Kiel <al...@gmx.net> on 2009/09/15 09:23:39 UTC

State of OpenType Font Implementation

Hi,

I'm new to the fop-dev list but use FOP for some years already.

Recently I tried to use OpenType fonts. As documented FOP doesn't
support OpenType fonts yet.

The last and only discussion I could found on fop-dev is from 2006 [1].
Looking into the trunk, there is not really anything done with respect
to OpenType. So what is the state of OpenType support in 2009?

Sure I could possibly help implementing it.

Best Regards
Alex

[1]:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org/msg04892.html>

-
e-mail: alexanderkiel@gmx.net
web:    www.alexanderkiel.net

Re: State of OpenType Font Implementation

Posted by Alexander Kiel <al...@gmx.net>.
Hi Max,

I apologize for my not so kind words.

I'm on the way to refactor the TTFFile part and hopefully add CFF
support. I will follow your suggestions and issue my patch.

Best Regards
Alex

-

Posted by Max Berger <ma...@berger.name>.
Alex,

--
http://max.berger.name/
OpenPGP ID: C93C5700 Fpr: AB6638CE472A499B3959 ADA2F989A2E5C93C5700

Re: State of OpenType Font Implementation

Posted by Alexander Kiel <al...@gmx.net>.
Hi Jeremias,

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Hi Alex,

second good news today. I guess we need to define what should be covered
by "Open Type". One important aspect is certainly CFF support (which
I've just mentioned to Jonathan a few minutes ago). Another aspect is
what Bertrand Delacrétaz started to look into: ligatures, character
combination and such. CFF should be relatively easy to implement.
Ligature support is going to be much harder as this will have effects
into the layout engine.

OpenType fonts that have TrueType glyphs and don't require the advanced
typographical stuff are already supported today, but many OTF fonts have
CFF glyph data. So that would be the first priority IMO.

On 15.09.2009 09:23:39 Alexander Kiel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the fop-dev list but use FOP for some years already.
>
> Recently I tried to use OpenType fonts. As documented FOP doesn't
> support OpenType fonts yet.
>
> The last and only discussion I could found on fop-dev is from 2006 [1].
> Looking into the trunk, there is not really anything done with respect
> to OpenType. So what is the state of OpenType support in 2009?
>
> Sure I could possibly help implementing it.
>
> Best Regards
> Alex
>

> [1]:
> <http://www.mail-archive.com/fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org/msg04892.html>