Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by su...@bankone.com on 2001/04/16 19:44:42 UTC

RE: Welcome File : index.jsp

Hello,
I looked at the web.xml which I copied from TOMCAT_HOME/conf and it complies
with the dtd that it refers to on the Sun site:
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_2.dtd

I'm still trying to get tomcat to load index.jsp when I hit the context
directory. No luck yet.

A few questions:

1)
 This web.xml defines a couple of servlets:
- default (servlet mapping /servlet/*)
- invoker (servlet mapping /*.jsp)
Do I need these, if this is already defined in server.xml?

2)
Should I define index.jsp as a servlet. If so, what should the value be for :
- load-on-startup
- servlet-class

3)
Should I define all the mime types within each context or is this unnecessary?
Can I remove these tags?

4)
My welcome-file-list tag is ok with only one child
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>.

I apologize if there's documentation about this and I missed it.

Thanks,
suha.

The web.xml file also contains a long list

Michael Wentzel <Mi...@aswethink.com> on 04/10/2001 01:06:16 PM

Please respond to tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org

To:   "'tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org'" <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
cc:    (bcc: Suha Yacoub/IL/ONE)
Subject:  RE: Welcome File : index.html

> I'm having a similar problem. I'm running tomcat in-process
> within apache. Will
> I need to set the welcome file setting on apache? I tried
> setting index.jsp as
> my welcome file in web.xml but the browser/server ignores
> this setting. I
> restarted both apache and tomcat.

You might want to make sure that the xml complies with the dtd
found in TOMCAT_HOME/conf/.  If these items are out of order
then they are ignored at server startup.  In this case it's the
server ignoring the welcome-file not the browser.  And of course,
as mentioned before, make sure you are using the right ordering
for your welcom-file(s) if you have multiples.

---
Michael Wentzel
Software Developer
Software As We Think - http://www.aswethink.com