Posted to dev@hama.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2015/06/03 09:48:25 UTC

[DISCUSS] Things I'd like to focus on next

Hey,

Here's few things I'd like to focus on next.

1. Add stream input format for listening messages coming from 3rd
party applications, and incremental learning algorithms.
2. Improve reliability of system e.g., fault tolerance, HA, ..., etc.
3. More machine learning algorithms, such as ensemble classifier, SVM,
DNN, ..., etc

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

--
Best Regards, Edward J. Yoon

Re: [DISCUSS] Things I'd like to focus on next

Posted by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Júlio Pires <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Chia-Hung Lin <cl...@googlemail.com>.
I suppose that decoupling key/ value from BSP interface may be needed
because not all inputs are in key/ value format.

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.

> *>>Please feel free to contribute documentation to the Apache Hama
> wiki[1]!*
> Ok. I am new to open source world so quite new to the procedure. Whenever I
> will find something missing, I will edit it.
>
> *>>We also maybe work together on it but I have no idea yet. Custom
> “Modern” or*
> *“Classic” Style? Maven website again?*
> Ok. I do not quite understand what do you mean by Modern or Classic style.
> Does Apache provides some kind of CMS to manage the hosted project websites
> ?
>
> *>>ADDM is quite interesting, and it looks like more fit into BSP than
> MapReduce*
> *(even if HBase(?) or memory-based shared storage is used). *
> Yes ADMM seems to be a natural fit for BSP model because ADMM algorithms
> are iterative. In each iteration, different machines process and exchange
> data and the algorithm keep running unless a convergence criteria is met.
>
> Check out Chapter 10 (Page 78) of following ADMM paper:
> https://web.stanford.edu/~boyd/papers/pdf/admm_distr_stats.pdf
>
> It discusses the implementation details of ADMM on BigData systems.
>
> *>>But I don't fully understand *
> My understanding is also limited but if the cost function of ML algorithms
> is Convex then the cost function can be converted to ADMM form. Once in
> ADMM form we can run it on a distributed system like Hama.
>
> >>*and so don't know whether it can be used as abstraction layer of **many
> ML algorithms. We'll need more investigation.*
>
> Yes, more investigation is needed. Here are a few ML algorithms already in
> ADMM form (a,b,c).
>
> a) *L1 Linear Regression -*
> https://www.dtc.umn.edu/s/resources/tsp2010oct-dlasso.pdf
> b) *L2-Logistic Regression:*
>
> https://intentmedia.github.io/assets/2013-10-09-presenting-at-ieee-big-data/pld_js_ieee_bigdata_2013_admm.pdf
> c) *SVM* - http://www.jmlr.org/papers/volume11/forero10a/forero10a.pdf

I don't know ADMM myself but what you say sounds pretty much similar to how
we implemented gradient descent and linear / logistic regression [1] on top
of it.
Any improvement there would be of course highly appreciated, so feel free
to open Jira issues and attach patches accordingly.

Regards,
Tommaso

[1] :
https://github.com/apache/hama/tree/trunk/ml/src/main/java/org/apache/hama/ml/regression