Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dean Gaudet <dg...@arctic.org> on 1997/06/26 08:14:33 UTC

HostnameLookups Off

I'd like to make the default HostnameLookups be off.  It's a waste of
bandwidth/latency for some sites to do this because they probably don't
even look at the logs.  Or they can do the ip lookups later.  For those
that want it, they can turn it back on quite easily.

I wonder how much of the load on the root servers is just apaches running
out there in the default config getting responses nobody cares about :)

Dean

Re: HostnameLookups Off

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> I'd like to make the default HostnameLookups be off.  It's a waste of
> bandwidth/latency for some sites to do this because they probably don't
> even look at the logs.  Or they can do the ip lookups later.  For those
> that want it, they can turn it back on quite easily.
>
> I wonder how much of the load on the root servers is just apaches running
> out there in the default config getting responses nobody cares about :)

+1 on this one.  If I could +99 it, I would.

When I was in Norway last year, this was Linus Torvalds first question to
me.  And I quote, "What on earth possesed you guys to default Hostname
Lookups to On?".

We will need to document this change in a rather large and bold font
somewhere though to avoid the barrage of idiots who will email and
complain that their log analyzers have suddenly broken.

-Rasmus