Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Tim Harvey <ti...@yahoo.com> on 2004/12/21 01:18:07 UTC

svn: Invalid changes line in rev-file

Greetings,

I'm trying to evaluate the performance differences in using BDB vs FSFS for my
repository filesystem.  I've found that for a particularly large project (90K
files, 300MB) I have, doing an import on a newly created FSFS repository gives
the following error at the end of an import:

$ time svn import . svn://svn/repos-fsfs/test --message "initial import"
svn: Invalid changes ine in rev-file

real    34m53.524s
user    2m12.190s
sys     0m18.040s

Incidently, the repository apparently is not complete when this occurs.

Importing the same project in a BDB repostory works fine:

$ time svn import . svn://svn/repos-bdb/test --message "initial import"
svn: Invalid changes ine in rev-file

real    49m11.243s
user    2m15.340s
sys     0m20.830s

The version of the client software is:
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
   compiled Oct 23 2004, 04:56:26

The version of the server software is:
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
   compiled Oct 23 2004, 05:28:31

Any ideas whats going on here?  I've done some testing with FSFS on much
smaller projects and have not had any problems, but this makes me wonder if I'm
setting my self up for future corruption for those projects.

Thanks for any guidance,

Tim Harvey

Re: Invalid changes line in rev-file

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Tim Harvey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm trying to evaluate the performance differences in using BDB vs FSFS
> for my
> repository filesystem.  I've found that for a particularly large project
> (90K
> files, 300MB) I have, doing an import on a newly created FSFS repository
> gives
> the following error at the end of an import:
>
> $ time svn import . svn://svn/repos-fsfs/test --message "initial import"
> svn: Invalid changes ine in rev-file
>
> real    34m53.524s
> user    2m12.190s
> sys     0m18.040s
>
> Incidently, the repository apparently is not complete when this occurs.
>
> Importing the same project in a BDB repostory works fine:
>

> $ time svn import . svn://svn/repos-bdb/test --message "initial import"
> svn: Invalid changes ine in rev-file

Umm? Copy-paste typo?

> real    49m11.243s
> user    2m15.340s
> sys     0m20.830s
>
> The version of the client software is:
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
>   compiled Oct 23 2004, 04:56:26
>
> The version of the server software is:
> $ svn --version
> svn, version 1.1.1 (r11581)
>   compiled Oct 23 2004, 05:28:31
>
> Any ideas whats going on here?  I've done some testing with FSFS on much
> smaller projects and have not had any problems, but this makes me wonder
> if
> I'm setting my self up for future corruption for those projects.

It looks like you have found a bug in FSFS!

Please could you repost to the dev@ list (with a suitably attention getting
subject line - e.g. "[FSFS BUG?] Invalid changes line in rev-file"), so one
of our FSFS experts can comment on how to debug this?

Max.