Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Thomas Voigt <tv...@gmx.de> on 2006/10/26 13:35:45 UTC

Curious problem with parallel tasks

Hi,

I stumbled upon a curious problem with the ant parallel handling in conjunction with Windows XP.

Let's say I have 3 targets: call1, call2 and call3 which are executed in a parallel environment (2 threads). Each target calls a hello world windows GUI application that has to be closed manually and prints an exit confirmation afterwards. Ant starts call1 and call2 correctly. Now the curious thing is that ant will sometimes (not always) wait for _both_ tasks to end before it starts the third task. No output is written until both tasks are finished. The applications do nothing except opening a window with a "hello world" text.

I tried to reproduce the problem by replacing the hello world calls with  various sleep commands, but this seemed to work fine, the third task is always started immediately after one of the first two tasks exits.

Any insights?

Regards, Thomas