Posted to dev@tomee.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2007/09/02 17:30:01 UTC

Re: [Discuss] What next?

On 9/2/07, Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > but to be honest I'd need a lot of support to get it done (mentor?).
>
> As I said previously on this list, I'd be willing to help. Alas, my
> time is limited as well but I can provide help and insides where
> necessary.

Hi Karl,

Oh, I see a mentor came up and am not alone to think about Geronimo as
a reference implementation for project OSGi-fication. Thanks Karl!

> At Apache Felix, we have developed a maven2 plugin that might be
> helpful in migrating to OSGi. Maybe that can be a starting point:
>
> http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
>
> Felix itself is very small (~300k) and can be easily embedded:
>
> http://felix.apache.org/site/launching-and-embedding-apache-felix.html

I think it's best to evaluate OSGi benefits with smaller projects like
OpenEJB. I've used the bnd plugin and thought it might help with
migrating OpenEJB to OSGi bundles (along the way EasyBeans did months
ago). I'll start with openejb and then if it ends up fine I'll get
back to Geronimo (the plugin framework should get better as far as
modularization goes so it makes easier to make them osgi bundles).

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: [Discuss] What next?

Posted by Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com>.
On 9/2/07, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> wrote:
> On 9/2/07, Karl Pauls <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > but to be honest I'd need a lot of support to get it done (mentor?).
> >
> > As I said previously on this list, I'd be willing to help. Alas, my
> > time is limited as well but I can provide help and insides where
> > necessary.
>
> Hi Karl,
>
> Oh, I see a mentor came up and am not alone to think about Geronimo as
> a reference implementation for project OSGi-fication. Thanks Karl!
>
> > At Apache Felix, we have developed a maven2 plugin that might be
> > helpful in migrating to OSGi. Maybe that can be a starting point:
> >
> > http://felix.apache.org/site/maven-bundle-plugin-bnd.html
> >
> > Felix itself is very small (~300k) and can be easily embedded:
> >
> > http://felix.apache.org/site/launching-and-embedding-apache-felix.html
>
> I think it's best to evaluate OSGi benefits with smaller projects like
> OpenEJB. I've used the bnd plugin and thought it might help with
> migrating OpenEJB to OSGi bundles (along the way EasyBeans did months
> ago). I'll start with openejb and then if it ends up fine I'll get
> back to Geronimo (the plugin framework should get better as far as
> modularization goes so it makes easier to make them osgi bundles).

Sure, there needs to be a starting point. Let me know when you need any help.

regards,

Karl

--
Karl Pauls