Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Brian Vuyk <bv...@cs.redeemer.on.ca> on 2006/06/06 16:50:35 UTC

Random NullPointerException when trying to connect to Datasource

Hello.

I am currently developing a JSP webapp for my employer, andhave run
into a couple of serious problems.

Randomly, tomcat seems to be losing it's ability to connect to the
mySQL server running on the same server as Tomcat.

Scenario:

This morning I was using the webapp no problem. I made a small change
to correct a typo in some displayed text, and then re-deployed the
webapp. Upon attempting to log into the webapp I was unable to connect
to the database. I recieved the below error.

Steps Taken:

I have restarted both Tomcat and mySQL, with no change. I have double
checked my source code, and I do not think the issue is with the
source itself. I have attempted re-deploying the webapp, including an
archived, known good version. The result was the same exception posted
above.

I can log into the mySQL database from the command-line without any
issue at all.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Brian Vuyk

Tomcat error taken from logs....
2006-06-06 05:06:42 StandardWrapperValve[jsp]: Servlet.service() for
servlet jsp threw exception
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Unable to get connection, DataSource
invalid: "java.lang.NullPointerException"
        at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.getConnection(QueryTagSupport.java:276)
        at org.apache.taglibs.standard.tag.common.sql.QueryTagSupport.doStartTag(QueryTagSupport.java:159)
        at org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspx_meth_sql_query_0(authenticate_jsp.java:286)
        at org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspService(authenticate_jsp.java:110)
        at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:324)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
        at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:237)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:157)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:214)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardContextValve.java:198)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:152)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:137)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:117)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:102)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveContext.java:104)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:520)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:799)
        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:577)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:683)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

Version Information:
Tomcat 5.5.17
mySQL:
mysql> status
--------------
mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.19, for pc-linux-gnu (i686) using readline 5.1

Connection id:          1
Current database:
Current user:           takedown@localhost
SSL:                    Not in use
Current pager:          /usr/bin/less
Using outfile:          ''
Using delimiter:        ;
Server version:         4.1.19-log
Protocol version:       10
Connection:             Localhost via UNIX socket
Server characterset:    utf8
Db     characterset:    utf8
Client characterset:    utf8
Conn.  characterset:    utf8
UNIX socket:            /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
Uptime:                 2 hours 33 min 8 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 5  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 11  Flush tables: 1
Open tables: 5  Queries per second avg: 0.001

Here is my web.xml for this application:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID" version="2.4"
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
	<display-name>
	Takedown App</display-name>
	<welcome-file-list>
		<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
	</welcome-file-list>

	<!-- Database connection info start -->

        <context-param>
                <param-name>
                        javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.sql.dataSource
                </param-name>
                <param-value>

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/takedowns,com.mysql.jdbc.Driver,takedown,password_removed
                </param-value>
        </context-param>
</web-app>

Re: Random NullPointerException when trying to connect to Datasource

Posted by Brian Vuyk <bv...@cs.redeemer.on.ca>.
I am using Tomcat 5.5.17. This appwas developed for this version of
Tomcat, and worked on it until the morning that day, and has refused
since. THere was no migration, though....

Thanks for the reply.

Posted by Brian Vuyk <bv...@cs.redeemer.on.ca>.
Thank you for your reply.

Posted by Vijaya <sv...@solutionscraft.com>.
> [...]

eryTagSupport.java:159)
> >         at
org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspx_meth_sql_query_0(authenticate_
jsp.java:286)
> >         at
org.apache.jsp.jsp.authenticate_jsp._jspService(authenticate_jsp.java:11
0)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:94)
> >         at
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:324)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:292)
> >         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:236)
tionFilterChain.java:237)
> >         at
erChain.java:157)
> >         at
e.java:214)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
ntext.java:104)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
20)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invokeInternal(StandardCon
textValve.java:198)
> >         at
e.java:152)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
ntext.java:104)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
20)
> >         at
:137)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
ntext.java:104)
> >         at
:117)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
ntext.java:102)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
20)
> >         at
java:109)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveCo
ntext.java:104)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:5
20)
> >         at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
> >         at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
> >         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:79
9)
> >         at
org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processC
onnection(Http11Protocol.java:705)
> >         at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:57
7)
> >         at
.java:683)

Posted by Brian Vuyk <bv...@cs.redeemer.on.ca>.