Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Nathaniel Stoddard <na...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/22 00:23:29 UTC

ear testing with surefire

I'm trying to get surefire to run some unit tests (and integration
tests) for an ear project of mine, but am running into lots of
problems.  I realize that the ear lifecycle doesn't contain any of the
regular compile, resource or surefire goals, so most of this is just
trial and error.  Here's where I'm at right now:

1.  Trying to do a simple unit tests (during test phase) doesn't work at
all.  Specifying junit as a test scope dependency results in a
compilation error when I add the testCompile goal in my pom.  Changing
it to a compile scope dependency gets around the compilation error.
However, surefire claims it doesn't have any tests to run when it gets
around to doing its job.

2.  This tails off the previous problem of surefire claiming it doesn't
have any tests to run.  Adding a test-jar dependency in the ear's pom
does the same thing, i.e. surefire claims it doesn't have any tests to run.

Unless I'm missing something, this functionality just isn't possible
right now (even with hacking the pom to include all the "regular" goals
that come along with other packaging types like war, jar, etc.  My need
is to do some integration tests.  I have an ear with a few war modules,
one of which is accessed by the others (spring remoting service layer).
I obviously can't test all the aspects of the integration if I can't run
any tests with surefire.

Any ideas?

Re: ear testing with surefire

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
You're right, the ear packaging lifecycle is not meant to support this
currently. The problem with that is the definition is tied to Maven
itself so it's hard to change it.

Please open an issue in the MNG project with the details.

Thanks,
Stéphane

On 8/22/07, Nathaniel Stoddard <na...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to get surefire to run some unit tests (and integration
> tests) for an ear project of mine, but am running into lots of
> problems.  I realize that the ear lifecycle doesn't contain any of the
> regular compile, resource or surefire goals, so most of this is just
> trial and error.  Here's where I'm at right now:
>
> 1.  Trying to do a simple unit tests (during test phase) doesn't work at
> all.  Specifying junit as a test scope dependency results in a
> compilation error when I add the testCompile goal in my pom.  Changing
> it to a compile scope dependency gets around the compilation error.
> However, surefire claims it doesn't have any tests to run when it gets
> around to doing its job.
>
> 2.  This tails off the previous problem of surefire claiming it doesn't
> have any tests to run.  Adding a test-jar dependency in the ear's pom
> does the same thing, i.e. surefire claims it doesn't have any tests to run.
>
> Unless I'm missing something, this functionality just isn't possible
> right now (even with hacking the pom to include all the "regular" goals
> that come along with other packaging types like war, jar, etc.  My need
> is to do some integration tests.  I have an ear with a few war modules,
> one of which is accessed by the others (spring remoting service layer).
> I obviously can't test all the aspects of the integration if I can't run
> any tests with surefire.
>
> Any ideas?

Large Systems Suck: This rule is 100% transitive. If you build one,
you suck" -- S.Yegge