Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Kyle Adams <ka...@gfs.com> on 2003/10/27 16:59:46 UTC

JAR Repository and File Names

Apologies in advance for any newbie mistakes, bad assumptions, etc.

We'd love to utilize a JAR repository in our environment (either via Maven or Ruper), but all of the proposals I've seen so far center around putting the version number in the JAR file name.  Is this the only way of accomplishing this?

I see quite a few problems with changing the JAR file name with each new version, particularly within a J2EE environment.  For example, changing the file name for an EJB client JAR would require updating all of the Manifest files of other EJBs that depended on that client JAR.  Changing the name of an EJB JAR in the repository would also mean re-setting/adding/configuring the EJB in WebLogic (not sure if other J2EE containers are dependent on file names).  Making these changes would not scale well, and quickly grow cumbersome in a large IT shop with many different components (EJBs, WARs, etc), each with their own internal version number, being promoted to various testing environments each day.

Ideally, from my standpoint, different versions of a JAR would be separated into different directories - versioning information would also be embedded (and accessible) in the JAR's manifest file.  Is this possible with Maven?  Has anyone else raised this issue, looking at it, or already resolved it?

Thanks,
Kyle

_____

Kyle Adams | Java Developer  |  Gordon Food Service  |  616-717-6162

Re: JAR Repository and File Names

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@maven.org>.
On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 10:59, Kyle Adams wrote:
> Apologies in advance for any newbie mistakes, bad assumptions, etc.
>
> We'd love to utilize a JAR repository in our environment (either via Maven or Ruper), but all of the proposals I've seen so far center around putting the version number in the JAR file name.  Is this the only way of accomplishing this?

No, the version of the JAR will always remain in the name of the JAR.
Simply for the reason of sheer readability. You're not guessing when you
look at the file. You accidentally copy a JAR without the version in
name to a wrong directory and who knows how long you would spend looking
for hard to find problems.

Ultimately your if all your processes are not tied to the source of
project information you are going to have problems. What if the product
name of the JAR changed? Not going to happen that often it's true, but
it would certainly be wise to only have to edit one source, that being
the POMs.

What we are striving for is comprehension and predictability. Removing
the name of the version from the JAR is unacceptable in the name of
convenience. Maybe you're not ready to use Maven to it's full extent but
there are ways that you can consistently generate all your artifacts and
deployments using the information provided in the POMs.

> Thanks,
> Kyle
>
> _____
>
> Kyle Adams | Java Developer  |  Gordon Food Service  |  616-717-6162

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org