Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jason Haar <Ja...@trimble.co.nz> on 2006/10/16 09:13:53 UTC

any real downside to setting maxsize to 600Kbytes?

I'm getting a small continual number of Asian spam coming in with
message sizes in the 400-500Kbyte range.

Obviously the default 250K size in spamc is too small and these drop
through the defenses.

Upping it to 600K typically pushes these spam into the 10+ score range,
but I'm concerned what impact that will have on our servers if I
defaulted to that. Is there a "rule of thumb" as to how much more
memory/resource such a change would make to a total system?

e.g. if it only means each spamd process took another 1Meg RAM each, I
would be quite happy. If it mean sometimes they will swallow 100M extra
RAM - then it probably isn't worth the hassle.

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417

Re: any real downside to setting maxsize to 600Kbytes?

Posted by Nigel Frankcom <ni...@blue-canoe.net>.
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 20:13:53 +1300, Jason Haar
<Ja...@trimble.co.nz> wrote:

>I'm getting a small continual number of Asian spam coming in with
>message sizes in the 400-500Kbyte range.
>
>Obviously the default 250K size in spamc is too small and these drop
>through the defenses.
>
>Upping it to 600K typically pushes these spam into the 10+ score range,
>but I'm concerned what impact that will have on our servers if I
>defaulted to that. Is there a "rule of thumb" as to how much more
>memory/resource such a change would make to a total system?
>
>e.g. if it only means each spamd process took another 1Meg RAM each, I
>would be quite happy. If it mean sometimes they will swallow 100M extra
>RAM - then it probably isn't worth the hassle.

A lot will depend on the amount of mail you are processing. I've had
my Max size increased for quite a while now and have noted no adverse
effects. Mail numbers here are typically 3k+ a day so not a huge
amount.

The SA server runs on CentOS 64 with a 1.7 Athlon and 1 GB ram.

HTH

Nigel