Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net> on 2012/05/10 16:30:32 UTC

Web app slow after migrating from WebSphere 6.1 to Tomcat 7

Hi All,

Not sure that this is really a Wicket question but I am having trouble
finding answers elsewhere.

I have a production Wicket-based app that runs just fine in WebSphere 6.1. I
am trying to move this
app to Tomcat 7. Performance testing has revealed significantly (and
unacceptable) slower page
response time for Tomcat. I have pinpointed the problem to the resources
being served including *.js, *.css
and bitmaps, of which there aren't really that many. If I strip these
resources out of the app then it
runs very fast so I know it's not about Wicket/Spring/Hibernate etc. I tried
making a plain HTML page,
copying the resources to the usual WebContent area of the web app, and
referring to those resources in the
page -- this page is also really slow in performance testing.

The Tomcat instance is sitting on beefy hardware, has significant amount of
memory and threads
allocated to it. Is there something I have missed when setting up Tomcat?

BTW, this is an older app using Wicket 1.3.7.

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Web app slow after migrating from WebSphere 6.1 to Tomcat 7

Posted by shetc <sh...@bellsouth.net>.
Hi James --
Apache was originally part of the test setup but the results were so bad
that we decided to remove it
in order to eliminate it as a factor.

BTW, I forgot to mention we are using Tomcat 7, JRE 6, Rehat Linux

Re: Web app slow after migrating from WebSphere 6.1 to Tomcat 7

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Have you tried fronting Tomcat with Apache?