Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/03/13 17:15:48 UTC

How to respond to questions about documentation

I have gotten a number of questions off the list regarding the
documentation--mostly constructive criticism or just questions.
Recently, there was a question regarding coding style directed
to me making MY arguments to using the Sun coding standards to
ME.  I find this humorous, but it does raise a point.

We need to direct users of Avalon to the mailing list where they
are going to get the attention they deserve.  Also, we might want
to place other people's names on the Coding Standards docs other
than me, because it represents more than MY contribution.  I
don't mind taking credit for my own work, but by having only my
name on that page makes it look as if I were the dictator of
style for the project--which is not the case (Peter is ;P).

Also, one thing I have noticed is that due to the early documentation
I contributed, it looks as if I am the main contributor to
Avalon or even the project lead.  If this is true, nobody told me
<g>.

The question I have is how do we give credit where credit is due,
but still maintain the view that Avalon is a group effort and not
under the dictates of one?

Re: How to respond to questions about documentation

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 02:06  13/3/01 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> At 11:15  13/3/01 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
>> >I have gotten a number of questions off the list regarding the
>> >documentation--mostly constructive criticism or just questions.
>>
>> yep that was me ;) I adapted this before we had transferred across to
>> Avalon (and thus before un-subscribed people could mail list). I figured
>> you were good contact point because you are the one who has put the most
>> work into Avalons documentation. We can change them to point to the list if
>> you want ? (Namely the contact point for Avalon Documentation Team ==
>> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org).
>> Cheers,
>
>Cool beans.  That would help.

Done ... I think ;)

Cheers,

Pete

Re: How to respond to questions about documentation

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 11:15  13/3/01 -0500, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >I have gotten a number of questions off the list regarding the
> >documentation--mostly constructive criticism or just questions.
>
> yep that was me ;) I adapted this before we had transferred across to
> Avalon (and thus before un-subscribed people could mail list). I figured
> you were good contact point because you are the one who has put the most
> work into Avalons documentation. We can change them to point to the list if
> you want ? (Namely the contact point for Avalon Documentation Team ==
> avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org).
> Cheers,

Cool beans.  That would help.

Re: How to respond to questions about documentation

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
Hi,