Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2015/01/06 17:20:31 UTC

Questions about Private Activities in Corinthia Name

I am puzzled by the following arrangements, which are apparently in private hands:

 1. The Facebook page
 2. The Twitter account
 3. The Web site

The Web site is, of course, an ASF Property, but there is much text framed in terms of "We" yet the work on the web site is in the hands of two individuals that appear to be operating privately (or at least, not operating in public here).

How do we move these, and any blog site too, into some sort of community ownership and community visibility?

 - Dennis

PS: I am thrilled that Dorte has organized the web site in a responsive structure by which it is adaptable to all manner of browser form factors.  It would be great if the principles were established in a place where all of us could honor them in any contributions made to the site, so that work would be preserved.

RE: Questions about Private Activities in Corinthia Name

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
I think my problem is that I recall casual conversations about things and then the execution surprises me with its details.

I also think there are differences in styles of expression and organization that I have not figured out.  There are also tacit understandings in place that are maybe not so obvious to others.

I want to discuss the maintenance of the web separate from the other items.  I already started doing that.

 -- replying below to --
Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 06/01/2015 Peter Kelly wrote:
> I don’t have a strong opinion for or against twitter/facebook
> accounts. I’m not convinced of their benefits, but I don’t see
> anything wrong with having them.

Same for me, I'd rather have them than not have them. So long as access
can be shared with (P)PMC members upon request, as it seems to be the
case, fine.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Questions about Private Activities in Corinthia Name

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 7 Jan 2015, at 1:26 am, Dennis E. Hamilton <de...@acm.org> wrote:
>
> My impression is that a Twitter account and a Facebook account such as these are only usable for self-promotion of the project.  This has little community-engagement value.
>
> I would rather they not exist than have such limited value.  Especially since they require effort to keep current in some form.
>
> I recommend that a Project Blog be established instead if we think it is important to give a project voice for announcing events, milestones, and problems of interest.  It will be necessary to curate comments and also address the meaningful ones though.  That or comments should be disabled.

I don’t have a strong opinion for or against twitter/facebook accounts. I’m not convinced of their benefits, but I don’t see anything wrong with having them.

I definitely agree a project blog would be good to have. I know I really need to get my act together in terms of writing more about the project, and I’m sure there are many useful contributions that others can make as well. I would in fact consider this the most important strategy in terms of social media engagement, especially if we can get people linking to it when we post articles of interest on particular topics.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

RE: Questions about Private Activities in Corinthia Name

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
My impression is that a Twitter account and a Facebook account such as these are only usable for self-promotion of the project.  This has little community-engagement value.

I would rather they not exist than have such limited value.  Especially since they require effort to keep current in some form.

I recommend that a Project Blog be established instead if we think it is important to give a project voice for announcing events, milestones, and problems of interest.  It will be necessary to curate comments and also address the meaningful ones though.  That or comments should be disabled.

> I am puzzled by the following arrangements, which are apparently in
> private hands:
>
>  1. The Facebook page

This page was created by dorte, and everybody was (and is) invited to
participate. The page needs to be owned by  a FB user.

>  2. The Twitter account

This was created by Daniel, and everybody who wants the password can get it
from me.

[ ... ]

Re: Questions about Private Activities in Corinthia Name

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.