Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Thomas Fahrmeyer <th...@einsurance.de> on 2001/01/26 17:41:29 UTC

Is it difficult to change the VTL Syntax ?

Hi,

i would like to have a VTL syntax that is similiar to Freemarker or simply
said: more tag like. In this way a Designer like dreamweaver can hide the
tags <if>,<list> it doesn't know. In my opionion it is very important that
designer can take a look at the real page design not jumbled with code.

The parser used to parse a template is generated with the help of a
BNF-grammar. It is very difficult to change the grammar and produce a new
Parser ???

Thanx
Thomas

Re: Is it difficult to change the VTL Syntax ?

Posted by "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net>.
Thomas,

I am experimenting with Dreamweaver and Velocity right now, and Dreamweaver
can be customized to work better with Velocity.

Look the ThirdPartyTags capability in DW, where you can define tags like
#if
#end
, and DW will ignore them.

I haven't defined each "tag" in the entire Velocity syntax yet though,
so I can't guarantee it works for all cases.