Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com> on 2015/10/09 11:21:32 UTC

slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Hello

My issue is whenever my nfs server becomes slow to respond, ACS just bloody reboots ALL hosts servers, not just the once running vms with volumes attached to the slow nfs server. Recently, i've decided to remove some of the old snapshots to free up some disk space. I've deleted about a dozen snapshots and I was monitoring the nfs server for progress. At no point did the nfs server lost the connectivity, it just became a bit slow and under load. By slow I mean i was still able to list files on the nfs mount point and the ssh session was still working okay. It was just taking a few more seconds to respond when it comes to nfs file listings, creation, deletion, etc. However, the ACS agent has just rebooted every single host server, killing all running guests and system vms. In my case, I only have two guests with volumes on the nfs server. The rest of the vms are running off rbd storage. Yet, all host servers were rebooted, even those which were not running guests with nfs volumes.

Ever since i've started using ACS, it was always pretty dumb in correctly determining if the nfs storage is still alive. I would say it has done the maniac reboot everything type of behaviour at least 5 times in the past 3 years. So, in the previous versions of ACS i've just modified the kvmheartbeat.sh and hashed out the line with "reboot" as these reboots were just pissing everyone off.

After upgrading to ACS 4.5.x that script has no reboot command and I was wondering if it is still possible to instruct the kvmheartbeat script not to reboot the host servers?

Thanks for your advice.

Andrei

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Ah sorry you already use this approach...

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Ok, I'm gonna make a bit of noise about this. Hope you guys will chip in so we can make some progress re HA in future versions.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Andrei Mikhailovsky <an...@arhont.com>.

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Andrei,

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
Hello,

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: slow nfs = reboot all hosts (((

Posted by Wei ZHOU <us...@gmail.com>.
in 4.5, it has been changed from 'reboot' to 'echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger'
you can hash out the line and test it.