Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk> on 2006/02/12 18:07:06 UTC

Setting up a parallel test environment on the same machine as main server

I have a setup on my home web site that consists of apache2 front ending
Tomcat 4.1, connected via jk_mod.  Both software packages actually sit on the
same machine, which is the gateway between the WAN and my LAN, and has two
Ethernet Cards  The external web site (www.chandlerfamily.org.uk) has the WAN
address, my other addresses are several IP addresses from the 192.168.0.0
range, all simultaneously served off the LAN side interface.  An internal dns
allocates lan addresses with names of the form *.home

At the current time, the definition of all the jk directives is held in a file
called jk.conf, which is included into the apache configuration at a global
level (ie outside any virtual hosts directives).  There is a single
workers.properties file which defines a worker called tomcat sitting on
appserv.home (one of the ip addresses refered to in the first paragraph)

There is a single JkMountFile directive inside the jk.conf file that refers to
a urimap.properties file that maps what gets mapped to be served by the
tomcat worker and what gets mapped to be served as static content.

I want to set up a testing environment in apache such that prior to new
versions of the application going live, I would like to run them in some form
of test mode in a separate (apache) virtual host. I will use the name
test.home which is yet another ip address on this same box for the apache
virtual host.  I am doing that so I can access the same database engine (also
on this machine) [Full testing on a separate machine will have happened
first, so this not as daft as it might seem]

Unless anyone here can suggest a better way, I would like to move the
JkMountFile directive from global scope to virtual host scope and have two
separate files urimap files so that I can map different things dependent on
which virtual host.

However, since this is a live site I don't want to just conduct the simple
experiment to see if will work, so I am asking here if this is OK.

Although this is a simplistic approach, the downside seems to be that unless I
also separate tomcat into two separate virtual hosts I cannot use the same
servlet name for both production and test instances of my application.

However, I don't fully understand the relationship between <service>, <engine>
and <host> stanza's in the server.xml file, and until I do, I am reluctant to
muck about with it and potentially screw the currently working arrangement.

Can I ask, am I right in thinking...

<server> and <engine> have a one to one mapping and effectively map on to a
single IP address assigned to the server (although it never seems to be
specified directly as it gets picked up from one of the defaulthost
attribute), and that each <host> represents a single name from the dns that
maps onto that IP address.   Therefore there may be several host stanza's but
all hosts must have the same IP address.

However I am confused about workers and the jvmRoute attribute on the <engine>
tag. Inside the workers.properties file you define the host for a given
instance of a worker.  Therefore, how to the workers get mapped on to the
virtual hosts?

In otherwords, in order to separate namespaces for my apache virtual hosts'
connection to tomcat do I need one or two <server/engine> stanza's mapped to
one or two separate <host>

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

RE: Setting up a parallel test environment on the same machine as main server

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
I believe you need to have a virtual host in Tomcat for each one on Apache.
I also believe that the name of the workers is irrelevant, as is the IP
address over which they communicate -- as long as the servers are bound to
the right address(es).  All differentiation takes place on the host header
only.

The https part (having to use Ips) is unfamiliar to me (I have one site on
my server running secure, and that works fine.)

Someone else feel free to jump in here and correct me if I am wrong.

Tim

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.
On Wednesday 15 February 2006 01:13, Tim Lucia wrote:
> The http host header is sent by the user-agent ("browser") based on the
> address requested in the URL.  This is how virtual hosts are
> differentiated. Tomcat supports a <host> container for virtual host
> differentiation, just like Apache does.  You do not need to change the
> workers at all.  Tomcat sees the same host header that Apache does.  I.e.,
> using Tamper Data and FireFox, I see
>
> Host=www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Yes - I get that part.

> When I request your web site.  (Along with a photo of you, presumably, in a
> tie & sunglasses ;-)  You might also want to send just "Apache" for the
> server, rather then

Yes its me (although they are my normal glasses that I wear all the time -
they just have light sensitive lenses), taken at my daughters graduation from
Southampton University in the summer 2004 :-)

> Server=Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux) mod_auth_pgsql/2.0.2b1 DAV/2
> SVN/1.1.4 mod_jk/1.2.14 mod_python/3.1.3 Python/2.3.5 PHP/4.3.10-16
> mod_ssl/2.0.54 OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod-xslt/1.0.0rc1
>
> As it is "more secure".  How to do this was recently discussed on this
> list.

Low priority - but I'll look at it.

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
[...]

Hope this is helpful,
Tim

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Posted by Tim Lucia <ti...@yahoo.com>.
Well, you can run Apache on any number of ports you wish, so if you are
limited by machines, then that is a way out.  Personally, I run IIS+2
tomcats clustered and Apache httpd + 2 tomcats clustered all on one dev
machine, just keep the ports straight.  That way, I can compare
configurations on the same hardware, same OS, etc.

Tim

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.

Posted by Alan Chandler <al...@chandlerfamily.org.uk>.