Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Deepak Kumar <de...@combimatrix.com> on 2002/07/15 04:13:39 UTC

Newbie Question re Messaging with EJB

Hello All,
	First off, I apologize for the cross post, but I've seen references to
this topic in both lists, and was not sure which would be the right one.

	My first question is fairly straight forward. Is it possible to use
Soap Messaging with an EJB specified as the provider?
	From perusing the archives of this mailing list, I'm guessing it is not
possible to do this. If my assumption is correct, then what would be the
best way of going about achieving the same result (eg. rewrite
MessageRouterServlet, create a new Router)? Has anybody had to this
before?
	Also, I'm new to SOAP, and so if this seems like an unusual senario,
please let me know, as I might not be thinking things through correctly.

Thanks all.
Sincerely,
Deepak.

--
________________________________
Deepak Kumar

ph:  425.493.2208
fax: 425.493.2010
________________________________

Re: Newbie Question re Messaging with EJB

Posted by Deepak Kumar <de...@combimatrix.com>.
Hi Scott,
	Thanks for the response. By soap messaging, I do mean one-way
messaging. Something along these lines:

	// create message envelope
	Envelope msgEnvelope = Envelope.unmarshall(myNode);

	// send the message
	Message msg = new Message();
	msg.send(myURL, "urn:my-service-name", msgEnvelope);

	// handle the response
	SOAPTransport transport = msg.getSOAPTransport();
	// read from transport.receive()

	So I'm guessing I am going to have to write my own implementation of a
Provider.

	I've got another architecture level question if you don't mind. The
reason I decided to use messaging instead of RPC is that the method(s) I
want to expose via SOAP need to be able to accept, as an argument, a
really large XML document. Using SOAP-RPC, it seems I'm limimted to both
8,193 characters as the maximum symbol length, and the inability to pass
XML as a String.
	Am I completley off? i.e. is there a way to pass large XML data as a
method parameter in SOAP-RPC, or am I right in my decision to use SOAP
messaging?

Thanks all,
Sincerely,
Deepak.