Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1996/07/08 21:36:55 UTC

Re: 1.1.1

For reasons that you may not have reached yet in your mailbox, there
are enough +1 votes to release today. I agree that this should not
be a weekly occurance. The mod_alias bug could really be a problem
at a site that provides AllowOveride. That coupled with several bug
reports on the mod_auth_msql changes and wanting to get a stable
version on the FreeBSD CD-ROM have motivated this release.

Re: 1.1.1

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
On Mon, 8 Jul 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:
> For reasons that you may not have reached yet in your mailbox, there
> are enough +1 votes to release today. I agree that this should not
> be a weekly occurance. The mod_alias bug could really be a problem
> at a site that provides AllowOveride. That coupled with several bug
> reports on the mod_auth_msql changes and wanting to get a stable
> version on the FreeBSD CD-ROM have motivated this release.

The FreeBSD folks could be given "1.1.0/FreeBSD 2.1.5 patchset".

The new mod_auth_msql is on hyperreal, in a directory pointed at by the
docs.  I'd be for putting mention of this (and the new mod_cern_meta) on
the home page...

The mod_alias patch should be made public early, definitely, as a
recommended fix for people having problems with Redirects.

All that can happen without a 1.1.1 release.

However, I do now agree that the mod_alias bug is a security hole, in that
it can be used for nefarious purposes
("Redirect /shop-x/accept-credit-cards.cgi /evil-guy/steal-cc.cgi")
so a 1.1.1 release is inevitable.  Can I press for a delay of a few days,
say until the end of the week, to see if any other disasters strike?  Say
by Thursday noon, with a release date of Friday.  This would at least
mitigate the possibility of a rush 1.1.2.  We have to go build
new binaries, too....

	Brian