Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Rick McGuire <ri...@gmail.com> on 2008/05/12 14:09:39 UTC

[DISCUSS] do additional artifacts need to be removed as part of the release process.

This is an issue that came up with the vote on 1.0 Yoko release.  The
new release process detailed at

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Geronimo+release+process

generates a bunch of extra artifacts that are .md5 and sha1 signatures
for the .asc files. So, for every jar file, you will get a .asc file,
plus additional asc.md5 and asc.sha1 files.

In our old release process, one of the steps was to erase all of the
*.asc.* files before staging the release for a vote.  Now that this is
done automatically by using the plugins, these extra artifacts get
included, and even get staged to the repos.  For example, see the
artifacts that got published for the last javamail release, which was
the most recent release to use this process:

http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/javamail/geronimo-javamail_1.4_provider/1.4/

Should our release process include the step to delete these additional
files?  Or should this be something that should/could be fixed in the
plugin so that these extraneous files don't get included accidentally?

Rick

Re: [DISCUSS] do additional artifacts need to be removed as part of the release process.

Posted by Jason Dillon <ja...@planet57.com>.
I'm not sure we want to do that... as we move closer to using the
maven-artifact library to handle the repository bits, these files will
be critical to include... to avoid misleading warnings.

--jason

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 12, 2008, at 6:31 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Rick McGuire wrote:
>> This is an issue that came up with the vote on 1.0 Yoko release.
>> The new release process detailed at
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxPMGT/Geronimo+release+process
>>  generates a bunch of extra artifacts that are .md5 and sha1
>> signatures for the .asc files. So, for every jar file, you will get
>> a .asc file, plus additional asc.md5 and asc.sha1 files.
>> In our old release process, one of the steps was to erase all of
>> the *.asc.* files before staging the release for a vote.  Now that
>> this is done automatically by using the plugins, these extra
>> artifacts get included, and even get staged to the repos.  For
>> example, see the artifacts that got published for the last javamail
>> release, which was the most recent release to use this process:
>> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/javamail/geronimo-javamail_1.4_provider/1.4/
>>  Should our release process include the step to delete these
>> additional files?  Or should this be something that should/could be
>> fixed in the plugin so that these extraneous files don't get
>> included accidentally?
>

> I had the same question when I released javamail.  After some
> thought I decided that the extra files didn't hurt anything and
> provide some measure of additional security in that you could (and
> perhaps should) verify that the asc files themselves haven't been
> corrupted.

I didn't understand why the original release instructions had the
"delete the required signature files" step.  These files are required
as part of an apache release and for uploading to a maven repo.  They
should be checked as part of the release vote.  Don't remove them.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.