Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by "Antonio A. Gallardo Rivera" <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com> on 2002/11/10 07:17:49 UTC

[OFF-TOPIC] WAP 2.0 and XHTMLMP vrs. WML

Hi,

I am currently reading "the book" of Carsten and Matthew. I have interest
in the support of the WAP technology and similars with Cocoon. Of course
to use it we must to know this technologies too.

Well, thanks to "the book", I am now buying new books about SVG and
XSL-FO. To learn about this technologies.

Also I made a little research around to find a nice book that will help me
in the Wireless world. I was searching for books in amazon.com. Then I saw
that there is now a new WAP 2.0 (January 2002) that said:

"The WAP 2.0 Application Environment (WAE) has evolved to embrace
developing standards for Internet browser markup language. This has led to
the definition  of the XHTML Mobile Profile (XHTMLMP). XHTMLMP is based on
the modularity framework of the XHTML developed by W3C to replace and
enhance the currently used HTML language common today...."

In another paragraph:

"The basic markup language for the WAE in WAP 2.0, namely XHTMLMP, extends
the Basic profile of XHTML as defined in W3C. This core was designed to be
extensible and WAE takes advantage of this capability by defining
additional markup features for enhanced functionality. By using the XHTML
modularization approach, the XHTMLMP language is very extensible,
permitting additional language elements to be added as needed.
Additionally, documents written in the core XHTML Basic language will be
completly operable on the XHTMLMP browser."

Source: http://www.wapforum.org/

That means that we dont need to learn WML1 because XHTMLMP is the future?
What you think?

Please, comments are welcome.

Antonio Gallardo