Posted to users@tomee.apache.org by Ihsan Ecemis <mi...@gmail.com> on 2019/09/27 16:58:37 UTC

Problem with MessageConsumers under TomEE 8.0.0

Hello Everyone,

We recently upgraded our staging environment from TomEE 8.0.0-M3 to 8.0.0 and things started to break.

After some troubleshooting, we realized that we cannot dequeue JMS messages from our ActiveMQ server using MessageConsumers.

We dequeue messages in 2 different ways:  We use MessageDriven beans for most of our queues.  But with some others, we periodically poll by creating a MessageConsumer (please see the code below for that second case)

MessageDriven beans work without any problems but we cannot receive any messages via MessageConsumers.  That same backend code is working fine with 8.0.0-M3.

We tested this with different versions of ActiveMQ server (5.15.6, 5.15.9, 5.15.10) but TomEE  8.0.0 did not work with any of them.

Below is redacted code snippets showing where we have the problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.   Please let me know if you have any questions about our setup.

Thanks,

Ihsan.

@Stateless
public class LogService {

    @EJB
    private CustomJmsService customJmsService;

    @javax.ejb.Schedule(second = "*/30", minute = "*", hour = "*")
    public void pollLogQueue() throws Exception {
        final TextMessage logMessage = customJmsService.receiveLogMessage(1000);
        if (logMessage != null) {
            persistLogMessages(logMessages);
        }
    }
}

@Stateless
public class CustomJmsService {

    @Resource(name = "logQueue")
    private Queue logQueue;

    public void sendLogMessage(final LogMessage message) {
        sendMessage(logQueue, message);
    }

    private void sendMessage(final Queue queue, final CustomJmsMessage message) {
        try (final Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection()) {
            connection.start();

            final Session session = connection.createSession(true, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
            final MessageProducer producer = session.createProducer(queue);
            final String serializedMessage = CustomJsonProvider.toJson(message);
            final Message jmsMessage = session.createTextMessage(serializedMessage);

            // This enqueues messages successfully with both 8.0.0-M3 and 8.0.0
            producer.send(jmsMessage);
        } catch (final Exception e) {
            throw new RuntimeException("Caught exception from JMS when sending a message", e);
        }
    }

    public TextMessage receiveLogMessage(final long receiveTimeoutMillis) {
        return receiveMessage(logQueue, receiveTimeoutMillis);
    }

    private TextMessage receiveMessage(final Queue queue, final long receiveTimeoutMillis) {
        try (final Connection connection = connectionFactory.createConnection()) {
            connection.start();

            final Session session = connection.createSession(true, Session.AUTO_ACKNOWLEDGE);
            final MessageConsumer messageConsumer = session.createConsumer(queue);
            final Message jmsMessage = messageConsumer.receive(receiveTimeoutMillis);

            // PROBLEM: jmsMessage is always null with 8.0.0. This was working with 8.0.0-M3
            if (jmsMessage == null) {
                return null;
            }

            return (TextMessage) jmsMessage;
        } catch (final Exception e) {
            throw new RuntimeException("Caught exception from JMS when receiving a message", e);
        }
    }
}

Re: Problem with MessageConsumers under TomEE 8.0.0

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.
Here you go:
https://github.com/apache/tomee/pull/578/files#diff-842e4b4a572903cdcd1260b172034a7dR59

Jon

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ihsan Ecemis <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.
Indeed, that is very strange. Setting transactionSupport = none essentially
reverts the server to its previous behavior.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:32 PM Jonathan Gallimore <

Posted by Jonathan Gallimore <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ihsan Ecemis <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jonathan S. Fisher" <ex...@gmail.com>.
Just curious, try this: