Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by RITESH RAI <ri...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/24 12:48:39 UTC

Query about APR's OS Support

Hi,
I have recently started to use the APR for one of my project, The
requirement is that the product has to be compatible on the following OS

Win 9x
Win 32
Unix
Linux
MAC OS X
MAC OS 9

The relase of APR source code I downloaded, contains the code for Windows
and unix, What i want to know is that does APR has support for MAC OS X and
MAC OS 9. If yes how do is get the corresponding source code for the same,
and if not is there any plan to have these support in this. Please let me
know as this will help me decide to use the APR for my project

Regards
Ritesh

MSN 8 limited-time offer: Join now and get 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_newmsn8ishere_3mf

Re: Query about APR's OS Support

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@apache.org>.
At 10:25 AM 12/24/2002, rbb@apache.org wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, RITESH RAI wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have recently started to use the APR for one of my project, The
>> requirement is that the product has to be compatible on the following OS
>>
>> Win 9x
>> Win 32
>> Unix
>> Linux
>> MAC OS X
>> MAC OS 9
>>
>> The relase of APR source code I downloaded, contains the code for Windows
>> and unix, What i want to know is that does APR has support for MAC OS X and
>> MAC OS 9. If yes how do is get the corresponding source code for the same,
>> and if not is there any plan to have these support in this. Please let me
>> know as this will help me decide to use the APR for my project
>
>Mac OS 9 doesn't currently work, but if anybody wanted to
>try to port APR to Mac OS 9, those patches would be appreciated.  I really
>don't know how hard it would be to port APR to OS 9.

Well, the entire port?  I can't say.

I understand that if I hack the filesystem API into Carbon, it would actually
be OS9/X cross-compatible.  Other APIs would require similar effort.  The
WebTen guys actually offered the OS9 port some time ago, IIRC, but they
were deemed 'too radical' for Apache 1.2/1.3 or whereever we were then.

Obviously APR introduced the possibility of bringing in these sorts of
patches.

I'm more worries about how convoluted it would be to build APR under
the native OS9 environment.

Bill

Re: Query about APR's OS Support

Posted by rb...@apache.org.

On Tue, 24 Dec 2002, RITESH RAI wrote:

> Hi,
> I have recently started to use the APR for one of my project, The
> requirement is that the product has to be compatible on the following OS
>
> Win 9x
> Win 32
> Unix
> Linux
> MAC OS X
> MAC OS 9
>
> The relase of APR source code I downloaded, contains the code for Windows
> and unix, What i want to know is that does APR has support for MAC OS X and
> MAC OS 9. If yes how do is get the corresponding source code for the same,
> and if not is there any plan to have these support in this. Please let me
> know as this will help me decide to use the APR for my project

Just to clarify, the Unix directories in the source code refer to the Unix
98 standard, which really means POSIX.  Any platform that can be
implemented using POSIX functions (or comes close to being implemented
with POSIX) uses the Unix directory.

Win9x works, although some APR features do not work, because Win9x can't
implement them.  Mac OS 9 doesn't currently work, but if anybody wanted to
try to port APR to Mac OS 9, those patches would be appreciated.  I really
don't know how hard it would be to port APR to OS 9.

Ryan