Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Kumar Kandasami <ku...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/16 18:06:31 UTC

Request - Release 0.6 feature set listing

Hi !

Could anyone point to a link that outlines the features expected in the
mahout 0.6 release ? Specifically distributed recommendation engines.

Also, I am currently using/working on the distributed recommendation engines
on EC2 clusters - is there a way that I could contribute any code that would
be in the 0.6 or future road map.

Thank you.

Kumar    _/|\_
www.saisk.com

Re: Request - Release 0.6 feature set listing

Posted by Sebastian Schelter <ss...@apache.org>.
Hello Kumar,

Unfortunately the paper is the best documentation available for the ALS
algorithm (together with the unit tests) and a good choice of parameters
is to be found by experimentation.

There is also a script available that applies the factorization to the
movielens dataset: mahout-examples/bin/factorize-movielens-1M.sh

I suggest reading the article "Matrix Factorization Techniques for
Recommender Systems" by Yehuda Koren that offers a nice to read
introduction to matrix factorization in CF.

   http://research.yahoo.com/pub/2859

There is no video or reference tutorial available regarding ALS or
RecommenderJob but using the latter should be pretty straight forward.
Feel free to ask your questions here.

--sebastian

Posted by Kumar Kandasami <ku...@gmail.com>.
Hello Sebastian: