Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc> on 2020/06/17 00:41:41 UTC

nrf51822 and BLE

Hi,
I'm picking up a project based on a NRF51822 module and I'm currently trying out Zephyr due to the available BLE support. However, I'm having some issues with it and, while I guess it is a matter of learning more about Zephyr to solve them, I was wondering about what is the state now for NuttX and support for BLE on NRF5. I revisited old NuttX e-mail threads and at the time it was mentioned that Alan asked Nordic about the BLE stack which is on Zephyr to be released as BSD to be included in NuttX [1] (to which there was no response). From my understanding this code is part of Zephyr which is licensed under Apache 2.0. Since NuttX is also licensed the same way, maybe now there's a better chance of integrating support for this?

I really don't know much about Bluetooth Classic/BLE internals but in case someone with more knowledge is able to work on that part I think i could try to get basic support for NRF51822 into NuttX. In any case, I see there's already NRF52x support so that is not really an issue. But at least I could help test it.

What do you think? Would this be possible now? Was it just the licensing issue or were there other technical impediments? Or maybe now there's still a licensing issue (I hope not).

Best,
Matias

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/nuttx/pmIJEOLWfHA/a4HWcxMEAwAJ

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "Ishikawa, Masayuki (SHES)" <Ma...@sony.com>.
Hi Alan and all,

Though I've never used nRF52 before, what we did for Bluetooth with LC823450-XGEVK are

(1) Port proprietary Bluetooth stack to NuttX for our audio products.
(2) Port bluekitchen/btstack to NuttX for a feasibility study of networking.

LC82345-XGEVK has CSR8811 on the board which supports HCI and both Bluetooth
stacks support POSIX environments so it was easy for us to port the stacks to NuttX.

Regards,
Masayuki

________________________________
Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mateusz,

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matias,

On 6/18/20, Matias N. <ma...@imap.cc> wrote:
> I've been looking a bit more into how Zephyr code handles the NRF chips and
> how the Bluetooth stack is organized, see here:
> https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/bluetooth/controller
>
>  From what I understand, they can either talk to a controller via HCI
> UART/SPI or directly to the chip's radio peripheral via vendor HAL. There's
> a link-layer (ll_sw directory) which I understand is their abstract
> interface into on-chip radio peripherals such as Nordic. The Nordic specific
> part is really thin, the HAL mostly sets registers directly and doesn't have
> much logic to it.
>
> I also looked at how NuttX is organized and it would appear that the
> host-level stack assumes a controller stack based on HCI interface commands.
> From what I've read, for on-chip radio peripheral there isn't a standardized
> interface proposed. So, this could be either handled by creating a fake HCI
> wrapper to on-chip radio peripheral to satisfy what NuttX's host-level stack
> expects (may be inefficient) or extend this part to support talking to the
> controller via HCI or a NuttX defined interface for on-chip peripherals.

Exactly, and if you see their two approach diagram the refer to "HCI"
in RAM communicating with the chip registers. So probably this layer
is just a "fake" HCI implementation.

> As I mentioned, I don't really know about Bluetooth internals but it would
> appear that lower-level part missing should not be that difficult to
> implement since the host-level stack is already implemented in NuttX. Also,
> the RADIO section of the nRF51 reference manual is pretty straightforward.

Yes, it should be a nice improvement to have it!

BR,

Alan

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.
I've been looking a bit more into how Zephyr code handles the NRF chips and how the Bluetooth stack is organized, see here:
https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/tree/master/subsys/bluetooth/controller

 From what I understand, they can either talk to a controller via HCI UART/SPI or directly to the chip's radio peripheral via vendor HAL. There's a link-layer (ll_sw directory) which I understand is their abstract interface into on-chip radio peripherals such as Nordic. The Nordic specific part is really thin, the HAL mostly sets registers directly and doesn't have much logic to it.

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "raiden00pl ." <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "raiden00pl ." <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.
Not sure what you mean by "slave" in this case. What I'm referring to is the access to the low-level Bluetooth hardware (register based access to radio peripheral). I didn't meant NuttX's BLE stack would only support HCI UART, I mean that there's no support for NRF radio (link-level layer) on NuttX yet.

In other words, using Zephyr figures from their docs, the idea would be to support this scenario (replace Zephyr with NuttX):

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Re: nrf51822 and BLE

Posted by "Matias N." <ma...@imap.cc>.