Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by martin olivera <mo...@ucsd.edu> on 2011/01/19 01:01:47 UTC

problem w/ apache 2.2.3 under redhat 5.6 (kernel 2.6.18)

Good day --

We have three Redhat 5.6 servers running Apache 2.2.3. After our last week
software update (directly from Redhat), the three Apache servers became
unaccessible from any browser.

A simple "service httpd restart" gives no errors, and we can see the daemon
running. Put the list of processes just shows [httpd] <defunct>. It appears
to be an SSL/NSS problem. A status check yields: "httpd (pid ...) is running
...". But the services manages indicates: "httpd dead but subsys locked".

The messages log shows:

SSL Library Error: -8038 SEC_ERROR_NOT_INITIALIZED
NSS_Initialized failed. Certificate database:/etc/.httpd/alias

The ssl error log says (both are warnings):

RSA server certificate is a CA certificate (BasicConstraints: CA == TRUE !?
RSA server certificate CommonName (CN) 'localhost.local.domain' does NOT
match server name!?

I've obvioulsy missed creating certificates somewhere. It's the first time I
find errors after an Apache upgrade. I thought the upgrades were automatic.
Nothing else (firewall, httpd.conf) has been changed from the time we had
apache working w/o problems. Any clue as to how to proceed to fix this
problem? I don't subscribe to the list, so answers by direct mail is
preferred.

Thank you,

Martin

Re: problem w/ apache 2.2.3 under redhat 5.6 (kernel 2.6.18)

Posted by martin olivera <mo...@ucsd.edu>.
Thank you. I just renamed nss.conf nss.conf.not and that prevented nss from
load up.

Martin

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On 01/18/11 16:01, martin olivera wrote:

> Good day --

Hey Martin,