Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Nicolas Baumann <ni...@free.fr> on 2007/08/02 17:06:04 UTC

specials characters such as Œ

Hello,

I need to include special characters such as Πin the XML file given to the FOP
processor. My XML is encoded with ISO-8859-1, which supports most characters
but not Œ.

How can I do this ?

Thanks,
Nicolas.

Re: specials characters such as Œ

Posted by Abel Braaksma <ab...@xs4all.nl>.
Nicolas Baumann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I need to include special characters such as Πin the XML file given to the FOP
> processor. My XML is encoded with ISO-8859-1, which supports most characters
> but not Œ.

No, ISO-8859-1 supports almost no characters but the very basic ones, in
fact, less then one percent of all characters (and can express less then
1 percent of all scripts in full). Unicode supports many characters and
some will even claim 'most', but that is debatable.

To support non Latin-1 (which is a nickname for ISO-8859-1) characters
you should move to a more extended encoding. The recommended and de
facto choice should then always be any of the Unicode encodings.

Since it seems to me that most of your characters come from Latin-1, for
compatibility reasons and for smaller data footprint, I recommend you
choose the UTF-8 encoding.

To do so, act as follows:
1. Choose any editor that supports this encoding (any serious editor will)
2. Change the encoding attribute
3. Use whatever tool you like to insert these characters (i.e., windows
charmap)
4. Save the file
5. Transform the file using your fav processor, it will automatically
recognize the new format.

Of course, any codepoints you use must be available in the font you use.
You can find that out by simply creating a codepoints chart, by using
the charmap in windows, or by going to the support page of your favorite
font.

Alternatively, you can choose to use numeric or named entities (this is
the way that XML supports codepoints not available in the current
encoding). If you use named entities, make sure they are resolvable
through your Document Type.

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma