Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Donald Shierk <we...@hotmail.com> on 2003/05/21 10:47:42 UTC

dumb question.

Hello.

I've been following this list for a while now. I just wondered if someone
could speak to the range of devices Forrest can be used to write for? I
mean, most of the time it seems that persons are speaking of writing to html
for browsers, but can the skins be also designed to publish on cell phones,
handhelds, etc?

Thanks much for any clarification.

Don

Re: dumb question.

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
Donald Shierk wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've been following this list for a while now. I just wondered if
> someone could speak to the range of devices Forrest can be used to write
> for? I mean, most of the time it seems that persons are speaking of
> writing to html for browsers, but can the skins be also designed to
> publish on cell phones, handhelds, etc?

Forrest does whatever Cocoon can do, and Cocoon is designed for this
sort of thing. It requires writing a custom skin with XSLTs that
transform the XML to the desired format, and perhaps using a custom
serializer.

--Jeff

Re: dumb question.

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agsoftware.dnsalias.com>.
Donald Shierk dijo:
> Hello.

First of all, any question is not dumb. ;)
Hi!

> I've been following this list for a while now. I just wondered if
> someone  could speak to the range of devices Forrest can be used to
> write for? I  mean, most of the time it seems that persons are speaking
> of writing to html  for browsers, but can the skins be also designed to
> publish on cell phones,  handhelds, etc?

Well, the short answer is yes. The long is:

Currently this support is missing on the package but you can be sure that
sometime it will become a standard feautre of Forrest. All that need to be
done is to fill some sitemap entries and the correct XSLT files to do the
work done. At least this is my point of view.

> Thanks much for any clarification.

For nothing, this is just my 2 cents. ;)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.