Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by James Jenkins <lj...@centurylink.net> on 2017/08/13 16:00:27 UTC

Spreadsheet single cell (word) replacement

I have made my spread sheet (I've made many, new problem).  I need to
replace a single word in cells, the wood "side" with "time".....no
matter what cell I go into...every time, it will not replace.  I've
tried every thing....no luck.

James Jenkins

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Spreadsheet single cell (word) replacement

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 09:00 13/08/2017 -0700, James Jenkins wrote:
>I have made my spread sheet (I've made many, new problem). I need to
>replace a single word in cells, the wood "side" with "time".....no
>matter what cell I go into...every time, it will not replace. I've
>tried every thing....no luck.

I'm not sure anyone can help without more detail. (Er, you cannot
have "tried everything", as you clearly haven't tried what works!)

A few ideas:

o Does "side" occur in text in the cells or in the results of
formulae? If you have "Search in Formulae" selected, text will not be
found if it is the result of a formula. If you have "Search in
Values" selected, such text will be found, but the formulae in cells
will be replaced by (modified) results - which you probably won't want.

o Do you have "Match case" or "Entire cells" or "Current selection
only" ticked inappropriately?

o Do you need "Search in all sheets" to be ticked but not have it so?

o (In a more complicated search) do you have "Regular expressions"
ticked inappropriately?

o Does the text *look like* "side" but actually not be so? For
example, is that "i" actually one of a number of possible accented
i's or even a Turkish dotless i?

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker