Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de> on 2004/03/23 20:40:12 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html

* slive@apache.org wrote:

>   Added:       docs     README.html
>   Log:
>   Provide some details on docs packages.

Thanks, Joshua!

nd

Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Astrid Keßler wrote:
> ... and other advantages. But we have one problem: we do not have an offline
> html documentation. Our docs need a properly installed server. So we
> have to build offline html documents or we have to offer an installation
> skript if we want to distribute the documentation seperately.

nd is already building offline-viewable docs: see the zip packages under
http://apache.mirror.mcgill.ca/httpd/docs/

Joshua.

Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> We could consider trying to help more people find the alternative formats.
> It seems that most windows users would be better off with the chm than
> with the format that comes with apache.  And I'm still wondering if we
> would be better off distributing the docs entirely separately from the
> code.

nd and I discussed this point several times. There are a lot of
advantages distributing the documentation seperately.
- The code distribution will be much smaler.
- Most people do not need all languages.
- A lot of admins do not install/want/need the documentation on production
  machines.
... and other advantages. But we have one problem: we do not have an offline
html documentation. Our docs need a properly installed server. So we
have to build offline html documents or we have to offer an installation
skript if we want to distribute the documentation seperately.

 Kess

Separate distrubution of docs and code (was: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html)

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, [ISO-8859-15] André Malo wrote:
> > Thanks, Joshua!
>
> No problem.  I dropped a new version of the pdf version in there too
> http://www.apache.org/dist/httpd/docs/
> I haven't really changed any of the code since the last update, but it
> looks pretty good overall.  The main problem is still some strange table
> formatting in places.  Comments on it are welcome.

I'm just learning Tex, so comments from me are reserved for the future ;-)

> We could consider trying to help more people find the alternative formats.

Yep. Perhaps on the index page?

> It seems that most windows users would be better off with the chm than
> with the format that comes with apache.  And I'm still wondering if we
> would be better off distributing the docs entirely separately from the
> code.

I'm very +1 on it (for 2.1 then). This (a) would reduce the download
size of new releases much (nobody installs the documentation on a server
farm) and (b) would let people give more liberty in deciding which format
they want.

We could give also a hint on download.cgi.

Additionally I'd also suggest to exclude the xml stuff from the normal docs
(also axing from the online server). That could be a separate package as
well. No normal user cares about these files, so why wasting bandwith with
them. That would result in a similar structure like the other projects have:
xdocs vs. docs (or however we're structuring it).

nd

Re: cvs commit: httpd-dist/docs README.html

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.