Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/01/03 17:12:39 UTC

HTML/XHTML dialects

As you know I would like to improve the XHTML compliance of Tapestry 3.1.

Now I've found examples where components should behave differently for
HTML and XHTML. For example in XHTML the content of the script element
has to be wrapped in a CDATA section whereas in HTML a CDATA section
would probably be a problem. So the Body component (which renders the
scripts) would have to know about the HTML dialect to produce the
correct output.

Another example would be the Image component. It could ignore its
border parameter if it knew that the output had to be XHTML.

I see two possible solutions for this problems:

1) each component could ask the Shell component for the HTML dialect.
The Shell component has a doctype parameter that could be used for
this purpose. Problem: the Shell component is not mandatory.

2) the Tapestry 3.1 components could support XHTML only.

What do you think about this? Any other suggestions?

Best regards,

Markus