Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com> on 2011/07/01 11:37:34 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Modifying headers according to response code

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Michael Stevens
<mi...@planetoutinc.com> wrote:
>> What is generating the different responses?
>
> We use the Spring Security authentication framework on Tomcat using an APR connector behind Apache.
>
> Protected resources are handled like this for an unauthenticated user:
>
> GET /some/protected/resource.html
> Response: 302 /login.html
> GET /login.html
> Response: 200
> POST /login.html
> Response: 302 /some/protected/resource.html
>
> This is a pretty standard scenario in authentication and single sign-on frameworks. In the example, /some/protected/resource.html cannot be cached by the client since the same expires/cache-control headers will be included with the 302 response, and Firefox 5 will cache the 302, causing the second request to the resource to again redirect to /login.html.
>
> -Michael

10.3.3 302 Found

The requested resource resides temporarily under a different URI.
Since the redirection might be altered on occasion, the client SHOULD
continue to use the Request-URI for future requests. This response is
only cacheable if indicated by a Cache-Control or Expires header
field.

Ergo, don't send those headers, or send ones that make it explicitly
clear that you don't want the page cached, eg Cache-Control: no-cache,
or Expires in the past.

Cheers

Tom