Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Francesco Caliumi - Diennea <fr...@diennea.com> on 2018/11/30 15:34:24 UTC

Why maven-compiler-plugin seems to not take advantage of already compiled .class files?

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering why, modifying just a single file, a "without clean" build takes a time very close to a "clean" build.

Some numbers about my build times:
1) mvn clean install: 01:13 min
2) mvn install (without file changes): 10.541 s
3) mvn install (with a single source file changed, among 2680 others left unchanged): 01:06 min

In case 3 I'm expecting a time closer to case 2, not to case 1. Both case 1 and 3 reports "Compiling 2680 source files".

Are there some options to make maven-compiler-plugin skip compiling sources where the xxx.class file has a more recent update time than the relative xxx.java file?

Many thanks in advance,
Francesco

--

Francesco Caliumi
Developer @ Diennea - MagNews

[Magnews.it]<http://www.magnews.it/it>

[Linkedin]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/diennea---magnews>     [Twitter] <http://twitter.com/DienneaMagNews>      [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/pages/MagNews/197617841797>      [Newsletter] <http://www.magnews.it/it/iscriviti-alla-newsletter>

________________________________

CONFIDENTIALITY & PRIVACY NOTICE
This e-mail (including any attachments) is strictly confidential and may also contain privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorised to read, print, save, process or disclose this message. If you have received this message by mistake, please inform the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail, its attachments and any copies. Any use, distribution, reproduction or disclosure by any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited and the person responsible may incur in penalties.
The use of this e-mail is only for professional purposes; there is no guarantee that the correspondence towards this e-mail will be read only by the recipient, because, under certain circumstances, there may be a need to access this email by third subjects belonging to the Company.

Re: Why maven-compiler-plugin seems to not take advantage of already compiled .class files?

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.com>.
Le 01/12/2018 à 21:17, Robert Scholte a écrit :

> This is a dangerous advice.
>
> Yes, it'll only compile the touched files, but not the source files
> using it. For example method signature changes are not detected and
> you will hit that issue at runtime with a NoSuchMethodException, which
> is too late

Yes I know. But running "mvn clean install" when we know that we have
changed the API, or when we get a NoSuchMethodException, is a small
price to pay for the gain in build speed.

    Martin

Re: Why maven-compiler-plugin seems to not take advantage of already compiled .class files?

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
This is a dangerous advice.
Yes, it'll only compile the touched files, but not the source files using
it.
For example method signature changes are not detected and you will hit
that issue at runtime with a NoSuchMethodException, which is too late (and
then Maven is of course the one to blame...)

thanks,
Robert

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

that's indeed quite a huge difference, but does this mean that the 55
seconds is only for compilation?
The background about incremental builds is described/discussed in
MCOMPILER-205[1] and Stack Overflow[2].

TLDR; If you change a method signature, you must also compile all classes
that call this method (and throw a compilation error if you forgot to
change this class).
Basically there are 2 options: analyze every class and decide if it must
be recompiled OR simply recompile everything. The maven-compiler-plugin
does the latter by default because the java compiler should be quite
efficient.
Hence I'm kind of surprised by your numbers.

We're always interested in improvements, of course.

thanks,
Robert

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/MCOMPILER/issues/MCOMPILER-205
[2]