Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Tim Barham <Ti...@microsoft.com> on 2015/06/08 20:21:50 UTC

Should files in cordova-lib/templates have license headers?

Currently these files are flagged by RAT. We should either add license headers or exclude them (from RAT) to clean up the noise. They're small pieces of template code used by plugman. The Apache rules for whether a file needs to have a license header [1] specifies:

> What files in an Apache release do not require a license header?
> A file without any degree of creativity in either its literal elements or
> its structure is not protected by copyright law; therefore, such a file
> does not require a license header. If in doubt about the extent of the
> file's creativity, add the license header to the file.

I don't think it could be argued that these files have *no* creativity what-so-ever, so perhaps we should add license headers?

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Tim

Re: Should files in cordova-lib/templates have license headers?

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
I believe we had this exact discussion regarding our app-hello-world.
Ultimately we added it in:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-app-hello-world/blob/master/www/index.html

Posted by Tim Barham <Ti...@microsoft.com>.
So... I added the license headers to the checked-in code, but got around the issue you describe by adding logic to strip out the license headers when creating a plugin. See https://github.com/apache/cordova-lib/commit/921dad392a.

Tim

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
What specific files?

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.