Posted to gui-dev@apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/08/18 20:00:46 UTC

Re: Future of configuration

> A month or so ago Doug and I were talking about the functions he needed
> from the core to implement the perl config funkiness.  I think we agreed
> that if we could change the configuration code to read from a callback
> instead of just from a file that he could do everything he needed.  This
> is actually very easy to implement (even as a stop-gap before SFIO in 2.0)
> because all configuration code passes around a pseudo-global cmd_parms.
>
> It would be trivial to add another two fields to that to put in a callback
> with arbitrary void *data pointer.  Then only one or two places need to
> know about the callback.
>
> This is a desirable change for mod_perl because it would mean mod_perl
> needs access to fewer of the core functions.  It could be used to
> implement some other config mechanisms ... but I doubt it could be used to
> do SNMP.  SNMP mgmt seems like a hard thing to integrate into apache.

I'll yield to your expertise on this matter, but it seems that an
SNMP MIB could be integrated that would manipulate a copy of the
current running configuration data. A 'copy run start' would copy
that with new optimization calculations into the running config. ??

> With the way config works in present day apache it is possible to do it
> only at start/restart time.  snmp and telnet interfaces would seem really
> hard to retrofit... I'm assuming you want to do something while it's live
> and running.  And some of the optimizations I mumble about (and have
> implemented already) involve doing pre-calculations at config time to save
> time in the critical path.  It'd suck to have to redo these calculations
> (and respawn all the children) with every line entered in a telnet window
> :)  Or maybe I'm confused by what you want.

I picture the config data being read from disk in some format that
the server wants to see it in. The configuration interfaces could
make sense of that to give a user perspective. This should allow
you to store the data in a way that is optimized for the server.