Posted to user@geode.apache.org by Parin dazz <pa...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/28 03:42:47 UTC

Java 8 Tuning with G1 GC

Hi Team,

I want to know about geode's support for java 8? Do we have any reference
for jvm tuning with java 8?

I found few ones related to CMS & MarkNSweep GC. Is it a good idea to use
G1 GC from Java 8 onwards? What care we must take while using G1 GC? Any
standard recommendations for G1 GC parameters?

I understand that old GC tuning config was suggested to achieve low latency
and high through put. I would appreciate if you can share your analysis for
G1 GC as well.

Thanks & Regards,
Parin Dazz

Re: Java 8 Tuning with G1 GC

Posted by Udo Kohlmeyer <ud...@apache.org>.
Hi there Parin,

I don't know how far we are with the testing of Geode with the G1 GC.
But until that effort has completed, any contributions from the
community would be appreciated.

--Udo

Re: Java 8 Tuning with G1 GC

Posted by Jacob Barrett <jb...@pivotal.io>.
Parin,

As every application workload is different I would suggest that you test G1
vs CMS on your specific application and installation.

In comparisons that I have done between tuned CMS and default G1 I have
found the default G1 often beat out the best tuned CMS. I also found that
tuning G1 often lead to poorer performance overall. When left to its
defaults G1 auto tunes as the application evolves. As many IBDG/Cache
applications go phases, like bulk load to runtime, tuning the GC for any
one phase causes the other to perform poorly. With default G1 settings
performance as your application changes phase is not immediately great but
improves quickly. If your application alternates between phases then so
will G1s performance but overall you will likely see better performance
than a highly tuned CMS and with a lot less fussing.

-Jake

Re: Java 8 Tuning with G1 GC

Posted by Parin dazz <pa...@gmail.com>.
Hello Team,